Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Policy Director – Wholesale Markets
Advanced Energy Economy (AEE) is a national association of businesses that are making the energy we use secure, clean, and affordable. We work to accelerate the move to 100% clean energy and electrified transportation in the U.S. AEE is the only industry association in the U.S. that represents the full range of advanced energy technologies and services, both grid-scale and distributed. Advanced energy includes energy efficiency, demand response, energy storage, wind, solar, hydro, electric vehicles, and more. AEE represents more than 100 companies in the $240 billion U.S. advanced energy industry, which employs 3.2 million U.S. workers.
AEE’s mission is transforming public policy to enable rapid growth of advanced energy businesses. We educate, engage, and advocate in more than a dozen states, in wholesale electricity markets, and at the federal level for executive actions, legislation, and regulations that expand the size and value of markets for advanced energy products and services. We also offer business intelligence products and select business development opportunities to help advanced energy companies grow.
AEE seeks a smart, innovative, and politically savvy Director to join AEE’s professional services team. To support the U.S. transition to 100% clean energy and electrified transportation, the Director will work with AEE team members to engage with and educate key decision makers on advanced energy, and to initiate, develop, and implement multi-year strategies designed to transform federally regulated wholesale electricity markets. The wholesale markets work will focus on building stakeholder coalitions in support of market rule changes necessary to support the growth of clean energy resources and speed the retirement of aging incumbent generating technologies in competitive wholesale electricity markets. The Director will also build and execute programs to educate key decision makers on advanced energy technologies and solutions to energy challenges facing them, whether through work with and at NARUC, regional NARUCs, or through other educational fora.
AEE is seeking a highly energetic and self-starting professional who has experience with energy markets and advanced energy technologies. The Director will work collaboratively, leading project teams under the direction of Managing Directors on both internal and external projects to advance AEE’s policy agenda. Candidates should be creative and flexible, with the ability to develop and execute strategies, working in multiple venues with diverse stakeholders. The successful candidate will have excellent organizational and relationship-building skills and the ability to find common ground both with corporate membership and external stakeholders. Candidates will need to have the ability to travel (post pandemic) to meet with AEE members, coalition allies and stakeholders, and public officials, and occasionally attend key wholesale market stakeholder discussions.
- Work with AEE professional services team members to drive AEE’s decision-maker engagement and education strategy, including educational work with public utility commissioners on advanced energy industry topics and trends.
- Work collaboratively with AEE professional services team members on developing and implementing strategies to meet short and long-term policy objectives in key wholesale markets as part of AEE’s core portfolio.
- Lead AEE and AEE member engagement in the stakeholder processes in priority wholesale markets like PJM.
- Work with AEE members to develop and reach consensus on policy positions on key issues in wholesale market design. Facilitate member calls and lead policy discussions to coalesce member input and prioritize areas of interest and engagement.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with coalition partners, philanthropy, allies, and key legislative, regulatory, and administrative staff.
- Work with communications staff to identify and seize opportunities to showcase stories and evidence of the advanced energy economy taking hold. Draft press statements, write blog posts, participate in webinars, and create opportunities to showcase advanced energy.
- Write comments, create reports, presentations, fact sheets, and other written and visual materials, and deliver verbal presentations related to advanced energy trends, solutions, and systems.
- Travel on an as needed basis (up to 25%, post pandemic) to targeted venues for stakeholder meetings, conferences, meetings with key allies, communications outreach, and other efforts on behalf of AEE.
- Bachelor’s and/or Advanced degree, Political Science, Public Policy, Economics or Engineering preferred or applicable comparable experience
- Minimum of seven years of professional experience in and engagement in the clean energy or transportation sector
- Organizing experience, preferably in the clean energy space
- Entrepreneurial approach, flexible attitude, and ability to operate independently, making decisions consistent with AEE’s mission/vision
- Handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to engage members, customers, and funders, and sell AEE and its value proposition to those audiences
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, both written and verbal
- Intellectual curiosity, inquisitive nature, and excellent listening and problem-solving skills
- Performance-oriented individual with a strong work ethic, demonstrated initiative and commitment to achieving goals
Special Application Instructions
To be considered for this position, please click here to submit a cover letter expressing why this position and organization interest you, as well as a current resume.
Job Type: Remote
Location: East Coast Required
Salary: starting at $110,000
Start Date: April 25th, 2022
Advanced Energy Economy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, sex, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. We are committed to the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice across our organization (“DEIJ”). We also incorporate these values into our mission of making the energy we use secure, clean, and affordable. We know that varied perspectives and a commitment to social justice are needed to succeed in making the United States an advanced energy economy. We commit to building and supporting an inclusive workforce that represents different cultures, backgrounds, and viewpoints.
Job posted: 2022-04-19