Policy and Federal Affairs Manager / Senior Manager
United States of Care is seeking a Policy and Federal Affairs Manager or Senior Manager to join its growing team. The mission of United States of Care is to ensure that every single American has access to quality, affordable health care regardless of health status, social need, or income. A new non-partisan non-profit, we are building and mobilizing a movement to achieve long-lasting solutions that make health care better for everyone. United States of Care will help make it happen by working with Americans from across the country: patients and caregivers, advocates, physicians and other clinicians, policymakers, and business, civic, and religious leaders.
The Policy and Federal Affairs Manager/Senior Manager will work with the Senior Policy Director and other members of the Policy team to develop and execute the organization’s federal affairs strategy and policy agenda. The Policy and Federal Affairs Manager/Senior Manager must be able to work with a high degree of independence on discrete projects, including Hill outreach and relationship development, and policy work, including researching and writing internal and external analyses, memos, presentations, and briefing documents. S/he should be well versed in health care policy and the political landscape, and think strategically about opportunities to build political common ground with a focus on expanding health care coverage and access.
We are looking for a highly self-motivated and creative person who is comfortable working in a start-up atmosphere with evolving priorities. The ideal candidate must be willing to pitch in on other duties as assigned.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop and execute a federal affairs strategy for the organization, including monitoring Congressional and other federal activity for opportunities for USofCare engagement, in collaboration with other members of the Policy team;
- Serves as the organization’s liaison with Congressional and federal agency staff, building and maintaining bipartisan and bicameral relationships;
- Support policy technical assistance for federal contacts alongside colleagues, the USofCare Board, Founder’s Council, partners, and other experts;
- Coordinate external engagements, including Congressional briefings, meetings, and special events, with minimal direction from leadership;
- Produce or contribute to the organization’s policy work, including reports, resources, blog posts, op-eds, and other external communications materials;
- Support and execute tracking and reporting against programmatic grants when necessary;
- Other duties as assigned.
- A strong commitment to ensuring every American has access to quality, affordable health care;
- Superb writing, analytical and strategic thinking skills – ability to produce high quality writing and analysis under time pressure when required;
- Knowledge and familiarity with Congress, including experience developing bipartisan working relationships with Hill staff;
- Excellent time management skills and the capacity to proactively navigate multiple deadlines and competing priorities;
- Deep knowledge of a wide range of state, federal, and private health insurance programs, including Medicare, Medicaid and CHIP, and the Affordable Care Act, and policy areas related to increasing access to care and controlling health care costs;
- Dedication to operating in a diverse, bipartisan, learning atmosphere exploring multiple policy solutions to achieve a mission;
- Ambitious thinking and exceptional work ethic;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and use sound judgment and critical thinking skills;
- Meticulous attention to detail and proofreading skills;
- Flexible and enthusiastic about working in a startup environment and willing to take on a wide range of tasks necessary to support a growing policy operation;
- Facility for building and maintaining positive, professional relationships with a wide range of colleagues and stakeholders;
- At least 5 years experience in health care policy at the federal level. Recent Capitol Hill experience and/or experience representing organizations on Capitol Hill strongly preferred.
- USofC values having a diverse set of viewpoints on our team. Applicants of all party affiliations, and those with previous experience in a bipartisan or nonpartisan work environment, are encouraged to apply.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s degree in public administration, policy, public health, or a related field preferred;
- Located in Washington, DC.
United States of Care offers excellent benefits including paid time off; medical, dental and vision coverage; and a matching 403b plan. The salary range for this position is between $70,000 and $95,0000, depending on experience.
Interested candidates should email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “Policy and Federal Affairs Manager” and your last name in the subject line.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multicultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply. We prohibit discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Job posted: 2019-04-11