Policy & Government Affairs Manager/Counsel
Summary of Position: The North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA), a
prominent Washington D.C. association, devoted to supporting the work of U.S. state and
Canadian provincial securities regulators, is seeking a Policy & Government Affairs
Manager/Counsel to form part of the Policy and Government Affairs Department (Department).
The position will report to NASAA’s Director of Policy and Government Affairs (Director). The
successful candidate will have strong government affairs skills, outstanding writing, and
analytical skills, a positive attitude, a firm understanding of securities regulation and financial
regulation, a strong commitment to investor protection, and a desire to work in an association
environment. Experience working in Congress, a financial regulatory agency, or the financial
services industry, is strongly preferred. Candidates with experience working on state legislation
are also strongly encouraged to apply. A relevant advanced degree is preferred, but not required.
This position offers a competitive compensation package, including medical and dental benefits;
disability insurance; life insurance; and 401(k) retirement plan options.
Responsibilities of the Policy & Government Affairs Manager/Counsel include:
• Serves as a senior NASAA policy representative to Congress and Congressional staff,
and an occasional representative to the Executive Branch for policy-related matters.
• Coordinates activities of the NASAA State Legislation Committee and serves as the
departmental point-person and subject-matter expert in most areas of state legislative
policy, including but not limited to advocacy on behalf of NASAA Model legislation.
• Conducts in-depth legislative policy analysis on matters related to the securities industry,
and, under the supervision of the Director, is responsible for developing, executing, and
advocating significant federal and state policy objectives and projects of NASAA.
• Represents Director and Department at various internal and external functions, including
independently contributing to departmental and interdepartmental projects.
• Assists in the preparation of Congressional testimony, policy letters to Congress and/or
state legislatures, legislative drafting, and similar tasks.
• Serves as a NASAA representative and liaison to a variety of relevant external
stakeholders, including organizations representing investors, small businesses, the
financial services industry, other state governmental associations, etc.
• Contributes substantially to the development of NASAA’s federal and state legislative
goals, including NASAA’s biannual legislative agenda.
Qualifications for the Policy & Government Affairs Counsel:
• Years of work experience: A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience is required.
• Education/Degree/Area of Study: Bachelor’s degree is required. A law or other relevant
advanced degree is preferred.
• Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills, the ability both to work
independently and as part of a team, ability to multitask.
• Knowledge: Detailed knowledge of state and/or federal legislative processes, familiarity
with the financial industry and financial services regulation
To Apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. A short writing
test will be part of the interview process. References will not be contacted without prior
notice to you.
NASAA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment
based on race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, sex, veteran
status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws, regulations,
or ordinances. We are committed to diversity in the workplace and promote a drug-free
Job posted: 2021-03-26