Policy and Government Relations Manager
The Policy and Government Relations Manager is a member of Higher Learning’s Advocates’
(HLA) full-time staff responsible for assisting in the implementation of the organization’s policy
and government relations activities. The Policy and Government Relations Manager will oversee
and support a diverse range of projects related to the organization’s policy and government
relations work, including policy research and writing, content and materials development,
government relations analysis and support, and other duties as assigned.
● Draft and manage policy materials, such as fact sheets, policy briefs, 101s, blog posts,
and other materials as needed.
● Conduct research related to policy issues and integrate research into policy briefs.
● Monitor and update the team on key policy issues that relate to the organization’s
● Attend partner events on behalf of the organization, as requested.
● Collaborate with consultants to manage projects and achieve project goals.
● Support the Policy Director as needed.
● Draft talking points, communications, and statements for public release and speaking
● Organize and maintain government relations contacts and materials in internal
● Monitor and conduct research and analysis related to legislative activity, and provide
reports and updates to staff.
● Attend meetings and events as requested by the Government Relations Director.
● Collaborate with consultants to achieve project goals.
● Support the Government Relations Director as needed.
The Policy and Government Relations Manager will approach these tasks as an entrepreneurial
enterprise, requiring a proactive approach. This role requires a personable, creative, dynamic,
well-organized, and highly-motivated person with a strong interest in public policy and
advocacy. Preferred qualifications include:
● Five years of experience in public policy, political science, communications, journalism or
another relevant field.
● Strong research, writing, and communication skills.
● Proficiency in online organizational and communications tools, including Google suite.
● Demonstrated experience balancing multiple projects under tight deadlines.
● Ability to thrive in a small team environment where teamwork, creativity, and flexibility
● A passion for or personal connection to education, public policy or economic mobility
Work Environment and Physical Demands
● Work is performed primarily in an office or virtual office environment, mostly sedentary.
● Visual and auditory acuity for extensive use of various forms of technology.
● The position is based in Washington, DC.
A competitive compensation package including salary and benefits is available and is
commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Higher Learning Advocates is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of
color are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume to
firstname.lastname@example.org with POLICY in the message title.
Higher Learning Advocates is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC that
supports and advances policy changes that increase postsecondary attainment. We support a
postsecondary system that is student-centered, equitable, outcomes-based, and focused on
educational quality by advocating for policies that: are based on student outcomes, make
postsecondary education and student aid work for today’s student, and ensure access and
affordability. We are bipartisan, strategically minded, and focused on improving postsecondary
outcomes for all students.
For more information about Higher Learning Advocates, visit www.higherlearningadvocates.org.
Job posted: 2020-04-22