The Lawrence J. Ellison Institute for Transformative Medicine strives to leverage technology, spark innovation, and drive interdisciplinary evidence-based research to reimagine and redefine cancer treatment, enhance health, and transform lives. Under the visionary leadership of David B. Agus, MD, The Ellison Institute was designed to tackle the difficult questions in health care and research to push the boundaries of medicine forward. To accomplish this, the Institute offers multifaceted programs, including a cancer center, cross-disciplinary research laboratories, a health policy think-tank, and community outreach and educational opportunities. Please visit https://eitm.org to learn more about The Ellison Institute and our brand new, state-of-the-art facility in West Los Angeles.
The Lawrence J. Ellison Institute is seeking a talented and passionate Policy Lead to join its team. As part of the Ellison Institute, the Policy division work at the intersection of public policy, clinical care, biomedical research, private sector healthcare and technology, and government relationships to advocate for and drive ecosystem solutions that will benefit population health. The Institute is made up of a diverse group of innovative and talented professionals who work in a fast-paced environment that provides ongoing support to research projects, patient care, lab research and administrative operations.
The Policy Lead is responsible for a combination of generating thought leadership and research, identifying novel policy topics and opportunities, managing relationships and collaborations with external partners, project management, and staying abreast of external development in the United States and abroad in the health policy landscape.
- Generating thought leadership, including in partnership with other organizations
- Identifying novel policy topics and opportunities for the Policy Department
- Managing relationships and collaborations with external partners
- Project management
- Staying abreast of external developments in the health policy arena
Experience with strategic thinking in health policy topics, preferably in management consulting, think tanks, or similar context, including:
- Structuring complex problems and boil down policy solutions into component parts
- Synthesizing qualitative and quantitative research, key opinion leader input, and novel insights into pragmatic solutions
- Communicating recommendations in policy briefs, white papers, presentation materials, and other formats as needed
Advanced familiarity with one or more health policy topics in one of the three fields below (familiarity with other topics helpful but not required):
- Global health security topics, e.g.,
- Vaccine clinical trials and manufacturing
- Product development partnerships for therapeutics and diagnostics
- Genomic sequencing and surveillance
- Health tech and digital topics, e.g,.
- Health data, interoperability, and electronic medical records
- AI in medicine
- Remote patient monitoring
- Pharmaceutical systems and care delivery topics, e.g.,
- Real-world evidence
- Precision medicine
- Drug pricing
- Clinical trials and R&D
Network in at least one health policy arena as relevant to the policy focus, such as:
- Multilateral institutions for global health
- US federal health policy
- US civil society organizations and funders in health policy
Project management skills, including ability to work autonomously, manage diverse groups of stakeholders, and deliver projects and materials in a timely fashion
Excellent interpersonal skills and written and verbal communications
- Proficiency in MS Office products is required, including basic Excel skills, is required
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and basic proficiency in at least one data software package (e.g. R, Stata, SAS, Alteryx) is not required but preferred
- Familiarity with basic life sciences topics is not required but strongly preferred
Minimum Education: Master’s or Doctoral-level training in health policy or related subject matter
Minimum Experience: 5-6 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Candidates with basic training in data analytics methods (e.g., advanced proficiency in Excel, basic proficiency in Stata, R, SAS, Alteryx, or similar software) are encouraged to apply.
Preferred Education: Advanced degree, including an MPH, DrPH, Master’s degree in a life sciences field, or MPP, MPA
Preferred Experience: 6 – 8 years in health policy or related subject field
Preferred Field of Expertise: Life Sciences or Health Policy
Location: This position in based in Los Angeles, CA to start as soon as possible. Flexibility for remote work in the initial period in the role is possible for candidates who would need to relocate to LA.
The Ellison Institute, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that an inclusive, collaborative team environment is just as important to our mission as stethoscopes and microscopes. We strive to always provide employees a supportive atmosphere so they feel confident taking creative risks toward innovation. The Ellison Institute values emotional intelligence and communication with empathy and respect for others. We seek to build a diverse group of people who are curious, have a deep sense of responsibility, and the grit needed to achieve excellence.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-06-07