Policy and Legislative Affairs Leader
Policy and Legislative Affairs Leader
About the Company
Headquartered in West Sacramento, Origin Materials is the world’s leading carbon negative materials company. Origin’s mission is to enable the world’s transition to sustainable materials. Over the past 10 years, Origin has developed a platform for turning the carbon found in non-food biomass into useful materials, while capturing carbon in the process. Origin’s patented drop-in core technology, economics and carbon impact have been validated by trusted third parties and are supported by a growing list of major global customers and investors. Origin’s first plant is expected to be operational in 2022 with a second, full-scale commercial plant expected to be operational by 2025 and plans for additional expansion over the next decade. For more information, visit www.originmaterials.com.
Origin Materials believes in protecting its employees and the community and, as such, requires employees who come on site to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Origin provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. When you take a job at Origin, you do more than switch companies or advance your career. You become part of the Origin community: an inclusive group of hardworking, uniquely talented people who drive innovation.
Benefits and Perks
You will work with great people. You will be joining a close-knit group of A+ players who like to hustle, create, and work hard because we believe in Origin’s mission: to enable the world’s transition to sustainable materials.
You will make a difference. We’re working on big things, so every person has the opportunity to make an impact.
You will grow. There are endless opportunities at Origin to learn and improve. You’ll be surrounded by great minds and presented with big challenges. And you and your teammates will push one another to overcome those challenges.
You will enjoy excellent benefits. We offer a wide range of insurance including Medical and Dental, Vision, Disability, and Life, as well as a 401k, EAP, and generous leave.
You will have flexibility. We don’t believe in one size fits all when it comes to work location and schedule. We care about safety and efficiency so work where and when you are at your best. Also, we recognize our team works hard so we want you to take time off when you need it. That’s why we have a flexible time off policy.
About the Position
The Policy and Legislative Affairs Leader will advance policy, legislative, and regulatory priorities related to Origin’s carbon negative materials mission. You will help develop our policy initiatives, including the prioritization and resourcing of specific issues, and messages, as well as which jurisdictions we will focus on. You will be responsible for managing and coordinating key initiatives, and develop/execute strategies for engaging U.S. federal, state, local, and foreign governments. You will assist in selecting which consultants and lobbyists we will engage and which NGOs and trade associations we will work with and will also be the principal point of contact with each of them. The job may include occasionally representing the company before foreign, federal, state, and local governments and administrative agencies, and coordinating representation by other company employees or surrogates. You will be responsible for strategically planning, managing and executing other activities and events that advance the company’s overall policy objectives.
Your job duties include staying current on existing and proposed legislation, meeting with local, state, and federal government officials and lobbyists, and updating management on relevant laws and regulations. You will monitor legislative and regulatory activities, oversee the implementation of policies that support organizational goals, and analyze and prioritize proposed legislative actions and determine the potential impact on the organization.
The ideal candidate will be a strategic and detail-oriented professional with strong critical thinking, writing and interpersonal communication skills, advocacy experience, knowledge of legislative and regulatory processes and cross-partisan relationships with policymakers.
You will be responsible for:
- Researching and monitoring government activities that could affect the organization’s business and clients.
- Assisting senior management and leadership with strategic planning for known and potential regulatory activities related to the business and industry.
- Introducing legislative and public policy changes that will support company operations.
- Assisting in developing budgets and effectively planning and executing initiatives to grow the company’s image within the communities managed
- Advising Origin colleagues on ways to engage policymakers in our work and work effectively across Origin teams (e.g., Communications, Development and Programs) to further organizational goals.
- Working with supervisors, peers and outside consultants to develop and grow grass roots and third-party support for the benefit of the company and its interests
- Working with senior leadership to develop and drive the organization’s policies and objectives involving local and state government relations and policy
- Maintaining a comprehensive understanding of legislation, emerging issues, and industry trends in assigned markets, ensuring the CCO is informed with analyses of the significance, relevance, and business impact of these developments in a timely manner
- Monitoring and tracking proposed legislation and ballot measures (local, state, and federal), analyzing proposed legislative, administrative and ballot measure actions in assigned markets, assessing the potential impact on the company and formulate appropriate responses
- Contributing to and supporting Origin’s government affairs and public policy strategies and tactics in California and select other states, at the Federal level, and Europe.
- Assisting in the development and management of the company’s political contribution strategies, where permitted under applicable law
- Writing congressional testimony, blog posts, legislation, white papers, etc. to advance Origin’s policy and engagement objectives.
- Identifying opportunities for membership in key organizations to further Origin’s policy/legislative objectives
- Manage existing memberships and relationships with special interest/lobbying groups
- Have superior written and oral communications skills.
- Have excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Are proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Have a solid understanding of state and local government
- can handle multiple projects and tasks
- Have strong project management skills, follow-through, with demonstrated ability to work under pressure and manage various priorities and deadlines.
- Exercise independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance and operate with integrity and within company values; maintain high standards for ethical practice
- Have advocacy, lobbying and negotiation skills and experience
- Possess the desire and ability to work on a nonpartisan basis.
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience with legislative and oversight processes.
- Can demonstrate political savviness and judgment and attention to the potential impact to Origin’s brand of specific legislative initiatives and lobbying efforts
- Are committed to working collaboratively and communicating openly with colleagues.
- Are committed seeking and engaging a diversity of perspectives and viewpoints.
- Have a passion for, and commitment to, public service, and an interest in the mission of Origin
- Have prior experience working collaboratively with multiple stakeholders and subject matter experts on federal policy issues
Have to Have it:
- Bachelors degree in Business Administration, Political Science, Public Relations, or related field required; MBA or law degree preferred.
- 5+ years proven ability to engage with highly successful team of federal, state, and local lobbyists, researchers, and public policy advocates.
- 5 years proven ability to successfully execute public policy, political, and advocacy objectives
- Demonstrated work experience with federal elected officials, political parties, companies, consultancies, trade associations, governmental agencies, or equivalent organizations.
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Strong government contacts at local, state, and federal levels.
Job posted: 2021-10-13