Policy Manager, Global Initiatives
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We are seeking an exceptional individual to support ONE’s policy work on a range of development issues – particularly gender, education and pandemic preparedness. The COVID-19 pandemic has laid bare the inequities and vulnerabilities that exist in our global health and economic systems. Over 2.8 million lives have been lost and economies shattered, yet the world has failed to act with common purpose and to mobilize the money, tools and political-will needed to quickly respond and recover. At the same time, it creates an imperative for us to rethink how we prepare for pandemics, how we handle education and how we prioritize women and girls.
The Policy Manager will help guide ONE to find opportunities to secure investments and policy reform in these areas to benefit those living in the world’s poorest countries. Whether supporting our well-connected teams across the globe to make the case to leaders or working alongside world-class experts to think long term about the world’s approach to global health, this role will be at the forefront of advancing policies that could help end preventable disease.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about our causes, familiar with major global development financing institutions (e.g. The Global Fund, Gavi, WHO, World Bank, GPE, etc.), comfortable with data and have a head for numbers, and have an ability to translate complex issues into something anyone can understand. You will not be focused on just one policy issue, but rather comfortable and flexible to work across a variety of policy issues in a proactive manner. You must be a self-starter, solution focused, and fun to work with.
This is a full-time, exempt opportunity that can work in any one of our nine global offices.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Provide world-class policy research and analysis on development related issues (particularly on pandemic preparedness, education and gender).
- Conduct quantitative analysis of data related to development finance and disease-specific trends.
- Help develop creative data products that illustrate key trends and/or makes the case for policy reforms (like ONE’s COVID-19 Africa Tracker and the Vaccine Access Test).
- Prepare written documents on policy issues including briefings, policy analyses, blog posts, op-eds, talking points, and other products for some of the most influential people in the world.
- Represent ONE at meetings, seminars and workshops, and stay up to speed on key trends in gender, pandemic preparedness, and education.
- Contribute cutting-edge thinking on emerging global policy areas, and support broader team work on development finance, education, climate, economic development, and transparency as needed.
- Additional duties as determined by the Senior Policy Director.
WHAT YOU BRING TO ONE
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, including public health, economics, international relations and development, strongly preferred.
- At least 6 years’ professional experience with some work history or background in global development, or poverty and infectious disease alleviation. Specialized expertise in pandemic preparedness, gender, or global education a plus.
- Comfort working across a few core issues (rather than issue expertise in just one area).
- Ability to work with complex data sets to answer policy questions.
- Working knowledge of Tableau, Flourish, R, Stata or other modern data science tools.
- Excellent writing skills and experience translating technical research into accessible briefs.
- Highly proficient in Excel and Google Suite.
- Ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities under tight deadlines while performing in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization
- Highly organized, analytical, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative approach and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Action oriented and results focused
- Flexible and resourceful
- Independent problem solver
Fluency in English required. Proficiency in other languages highly preferred such as French and German.
Travel up to 10% international.
Remote work environment at the time of hire. In-office work options available and standard office work environment in the future when appropriate to facilitate.
Are you ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease? Please submit a resume and cover letter to this opening at ONE jobs!
ONE is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please visit the Contact Us page on the web). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
ONE is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality.
Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s supporters are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-06-06