Policy Officer, Health
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We are seeking an outstanding individual to support ONE’s policy work on global health and related development issues. The COVID-19 pandemic has laid bare the inequities and vulnerabilities that exist in our global health systems. Over 2.8 million lives have been lost and economies shattered, yet the world has failed to act with common purpose and to mobilize the money, tools and political-will needed to quickly respond and recover. At the same time, diseases like HIV, tuberculosis, and malaria still claim millions of lives each year despite being completely preventable. Life-changing progress is happening every day, but we need it to speed up to prevent the next pandemic and get reliable healthcare to those who need it most. ONE is committed to solving this problem.
The Policy Officer will help guide ONE’s effort to grow international and domestic investments in health, deliver a global agenda on pandemic preparedness and response, and improve the quality of health care in the world’s poorest countries. Whether supporting our well-connected teams across the globe to make the case to their leaders, or working alongside world-class experts to think long term about the world’s approach to global health, this role will be at the forefront of advancing policies that could help end preventable disease.
To succeed in this role you must be passionate about this cause, familiar with major global health financing institutions (e.g. The Global Fund, Gavi, WHO, etc.), comfortable with data and have a head for numbers, and have an ability to translate complex issues into something anyone can understand. You must be a self-starter, solution focused, and fun to work with.
This is a full-time, exempt opportunity reporting directly to the Senior Policy Director (Health) based in our Washington, DC office.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Provide policy research and analysis on global health issues (including the global response to COVID-19, pandemic preparedness, HIV/AIDS, and immunization) in support of ONE’s global lobbying, advocacy, media and campaigning work.
- Conduct quantitative analysis of data related to health finance and disease-specific trends.
- Help develop creative data products that illustrate key trends and/or makes the case for policy reforms and funding in global health (like ONE’s COVID-19 Africa Tracker and the Vaccine Access Test).
- Prepare written documents on policy issues related to health, including briefings, policy analyses, blog posts, op-eds, talking points, and other products for some of the most influential people in the world.
- Represent ONE at meetings, seminars and workshops, and stay up to speed on key trends in global health.
- Contribute cutting-edge thinking on emerging global policy areas, and support broader team work on development finance, education, climate, economic development, and transparency as needed.
- Additional duties as determined by the Senior Policy Director.
WHAT YOU BRING TO ONE
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, including public health, economics, international relations and development, preferred.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience with some work history or background in global health, or poverty and infectious disease alleviation. Specialized expertise with global health institutions a plus but not required.
- Ability to work with complex data sets to answer policy questions.
- Working knowledge of Tableau, Flourish, Python, Stata or other modern data science tools desirable.
- Excellent writing skills and experience translating technical research into accessible briefs.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, and especially Excel.
- Ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities under tight deadlines while performing in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Related work history in poverty and infectious disease alleviation, advocacy, policy, legislation and/or demonstrable interest in the causes ONE supports.
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization
- Highly organized, analytical, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative approach and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Action oriented and results focused
- Flexible and resourceful
- Independent problem solver
Fluency in English required. Proficiency in other languages highly preferred such as French and German.
Travel up to 10% international.
Remote work environment at the time of hire. In-office work options available and standard office work environment in the future when appropriate to facilitate.
Are you ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease? Please submit a resume and cover letter to this opening at ONE jobs!
ONE is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please visit the Contact Us page on the web; www.one.org/us/about/contact/). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
ONE is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality.
Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s supporters are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-06-06