Policy Program Manager
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We’re large enough that you’ll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
Do you want to help Etsy’s Mission to Keep Commerce Human while building and enforcing marketplace policies that foster a safe platform and community? Then this role might be the perfect match.
The Policy Program Manager will help manage the day-to-day operations of policy at Etsy. Our Policy team is responsible for the community and content policies that govern the Etsy marketplace and promote positive member experiences while using our services. Our Policy team focuses on content policies, and while the team does interact with our Public Policy (Government Affairs) team, they are separate teams and fulfill fundamentally different roles at Etsy. If you are interested in a role in Public Policy, this is not the role for you!
This position is ideally located in Brooklyn, NY, though we offer flexible workplace policies that can accommodate work from home candidates who are comfortable traveling to an office location 2-3 times per week (once business travel resumes). This position reports to the Senior Policy Manager.
About The Role
In this role you will:
- Be a member of the PALs (Policy, Advocacy & Legal) Team. The Policy team on PALs works with key teams across Etsy (Product, Legal, Engineering, Trust & Safety, etc.) on policy development and enforcement to further support Etsy’s business, values, and mission.
- Building out and lead policy programs, including how we execute large-scale policy updates, complete periodic policy audits, and govern policy tools
- Reimagine Etsy’s internal strategy for enabling employees to access policy information.
- Assist in the ongoing improvement of all operational aspects of the policy program for example: Policy training for employees; Public-facing policy management; Seller education; Internal policy documentation governance and so much more.
- Building and maintaining partnerships across the industry to develop policy methodologies for the Etsy platform.
- Work with the Senior Policy Manager and cross functional partners to develop and evolve our policy programs to meet the needs of our business, our community and the ever-changing social and regulatory landscape.
- Work with data and analytics teams to gain insight into brand, business, or financial impact of policy decisions in order to improve processes and decision-making.
- Assist with the development of processes and product solutions that address policy needs for Etsy.
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy’s discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Ideally you’ll bring:
- 5+ years of relevant policy, program management or operations experience, which includes work at global e-commerce and/or social platforms (required).
- E-commerce Expertise: experience working with policies for global e-commerce platforms and the sharing economy and understand the policy issues unique to marketplaces. You can incorporate this experience into your approach developing new processes and workflows to our growth.
- Operational Expertise: managing dynamic, cross-functional projects or programs, with a record of successful, timely execution.
- Business Savvy: understand how policies are informed by and reflect our business. You know how to proactively identify gaps in our policy processes and develop solutions.
- Data/Analytical Skills: design, run, and interpret policy analytics to measure the effectiveness of our policies and their enforcement, for informed decisions and continuously improve the program.
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and written. You write in plain language. You love communicating complex topics or themes in a way people can understand.
- Keen Collaborator working cross-functionally with numerous teams (legal, operations, engineering, product, etc). You have experience consensus-building, operating independently, and accomplishing through influence.
- You stay current on topics related to tech/e-commerce/platform regulation and have a point of view on the evolving social and regulatory landscape.
- A trust in and commitment to Etsy’s vision, mission and values
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-01