Political Advocacy Strategist
The American Academy of Family Physicians and its chapters proudly represent more than 136,700 family physician, resident, and medical student members. Family physicians play a critical role in improving the health of patients, families, and communities across the United States.
The AAFP is committed to helping family physicians improve the health of Americans by advancing the specialty of family medicine, saving members time, and maximizing the value of membership. Our focus every day is to help family physicians spend more time doing what they do best: providing quality and cost-effective patient care. The AAFP delivers value to its members through each of its strategic priorities.
Location: Washington, DC
Travel: Approximately 5-10 days per year
The Political Advocacy Strategist supports Government Affairs and Political Advocacy programs including the AAFP Key Contact program, state, federal, and chapter advocacy efforts, and programs like the annual Family Medicine Advocacy Summit. The position develops and implements digital media strategy to engage legislators, policy makers, health care influencers, and AAFP membership.
Essential Experience and Responsibilities:
- Experience in grassroots/tops advocacy-including crafting and implementing alerts for member activation.
- Political or campaign experience at the state and federal level, political fundraising experience is highly desirable.
- Expert user of social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Ability to leverage digital media in advocacy programs.
- Strong presentation, organizational, project management, and event planning skills are required. The ability to plan, organize, manage details, and monitor own work necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with colleagues from other departments, advocates, and members of the political and advocacy community. Ability to multitask and juggle multiple responsibilities and requests daily.
- Problem solving ability is vital. Choosing the correct course of action based on operating procedures is important.
- Ability to foster involvement and enthusiasm from PAC and grassroots advocates to participate in advocacy programs.
- This position requires creativity, energy, and resourcefulness. Some travel and work outside normal business hours required.
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in an academic field directly related and essential to the position or through equivalent work experience plus at least four years related work experience
- Strong organizing skills with an emphasis on digital engagements
- Energetic and innovative approach to the role with a proven ability to execute a strategy in a collaborative manner
- Strong writing skills to translate policy recommendations into persuasive messaging
- Database management skills
- Strong oral communications skills
- Familiarity with grassroots platforms
- Strong attention to detail
For the Hearing Impaired our TTY number is: (913) 906-6333
Minorities are encouraged to apply. We thank all respondents for their interest in AAFP.
Interested in this position? Apply on-line and create a personal candidate account!
Job posted: 2021-04-09