Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Political Affairs Manager
The Job You Will Perform:
This position is critical to the company’s efforts to favorably impact public policy issues and to enhance International Paper’s reputation in the political process with policymakers, political candidates and key external stakeholders. This role focuses on PAC budget management, to include political candidate vetting, PAC disbursement strategy and PAC data analysis and reporting. This position leads the annual company asset data collection and footprint analysis to inform IP’s advocacy story-telling capacity and collaborates with government relations team members to support advocacy initiatives, trade association engagement and third party stakeholders to advance the company’s government relations mission.
The Political Affairs Manager manages the day-to-day operations of the ~ $1.6 million per election cycle PAC budget to ensure alignment with contribution criteria and guide disbursement strategy. This position works with the PAC Board of Directors on regular budget reviews, candidate evaluations and the annual Washington DC fly-in meeting. This position reports to the Director of Political & Advocacy Strategy and collaborates regularly with the Advocacy Manager to lead the PAC peer to peer program and drive PAC member education, recruitment and engagement. This position also collaborates regularly with the Government Relations Operations Manager to effectively execute federal and state PAC disbursements, manage political events, track PAC receipts and ensure compliance. This role works in partnership with several internal teams including HR, Global Citizenship, IT, business and staff groups to manage the annual corporate asset data collection process to effectively shape the IP story with key policymakers. This position also supports the federal government relations team with issue advocacy and representing the company with external stakeholders at trade association meetings and political events. Position calls for political acumen and learning agility to develop a strong comprehension of IP’s footprint and business goals which requires attention to details and deadlines, enthusiasm and teamwork.
- PAC Budget & Strategic Disbursement Management: Lead the candidate vetting process to ensure alignment with candidate criteria; initiative and conduct candidate meetings; perform PAC financial reporting; liaise with the PAC Board of Directors, initiate and facilitate the candidate review process; work in concert with federal and state GR teams to strategically execute the PAC disbursement budget through candidate disbursements and political event participation; manage the government relations event calendar and coordinate candidate and political events.
- PAC Website Management and Data Analysis: Spearhead PAC membership data reporting and analysis to inform key messages and programs; act as primary strategy and data contact with database vendor; harmonize PAC website with timely and relevant PAC education and engagement information.
- PAC Member Recruitment and Retention: Collaborate with PAC team to implement meaningful PAC member benefit program, including charitable match; contribute to education resources including PAC newsletter; work with PAC team on membership recruitment campaigns and peer to peer program, including training and membership campaign implementation.
- Corporate Asset Data Analysis: Lead the development and execution of company asset data to support company advocacy efforts; manage the annual collection of company asset data through collaboration with cross-functional internal teams and maintain company asset data for advocacy initiatives throughout the year; track asset data trends to inform messaging and improve company U.S. policy story-telling capacity at the state and federal levels.
- Advocacy & Political Engagement: Reinforce the government relations advocacy team and attend political events, association and coalition meetings with external stakeholders; support the advocacy team by drafting and sending policy communications to key stakeholders and creating and engaging on company’s government relations social media channels.
- The external environment, including technology, competition, markets: This role works at the center of a divisive political climate, along with the entire government relations team, to effectively vet and support political candidates while maintaining alignment with The IP Way and corporate reputation. This role must adapt to the ongoing balance between in person and remote meetings and events to effectively advocate on policy priorities.
- The internal environment, including interaction with others, (both inside and outside the company) policies/practices: As we continue to adapt to flexible work schedules with some employees working in office and others working remotely, this role faces the challenge of rethinking the best employee engagement strategies to grow and retain PAC participation in a hybrid environment.
- The work itself, e.g., problems, opportunities, change: This role must work within tight timelines and react quickly to changes that arise. This role will also have the opportunity to grow, take on additional projects and reinforce the overall government relations mission as needed.
The Skills You Will Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree plus 5-7 years of related work experience with a strong understanding of specified functional area
- Experience working on political action committees or political campaign reporting and compliance is strongly encouraged
- Prior experience in a government relations office is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple projects and meet deadlines with positive attitude
- Ability to work in a team environment, coordinating input from multiple parties
- Attention to detail and ability to work alone with minimal supervision
- Ability to manage outside consultants and vendors
- Demonstrated technical savvy, strong computer skills and a knowledge of database programs (DDC, National Journal, PoliticoPro)
- Excellent PC skills including Outlook, Microsoft Office tools, Excel, Word, Power Point; internet savvy, website and social media experience.
- Successful candidate is a self-starter with strong communication skills and enjoys the willingness to ask pertinent questions.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact effectively and respectfully with all levels of employees, senior executives, consultants, customers, Members of Congress, Administration, congressional staff, government officials and staff, political candidates and members of the business community.
- Process management
- Organizational agility
- Drive for results
- Interpersonal savvy
- Learning on the fly
- Peer relationships
- Time management
The Benefits You Will Enjoy:
- Paid time off including Vacation and Holidays
- Retirement and 401k Matching Program
- Medical & Dental
- Education & Development (including Tuition Reimbursement)
- Life & Disability Insurance
The Career You Will Build:
- Leadership training
- Promotional opportunities
The Impact You Will Make:
We continue to build a better future for people, the plant, and our company! IP has been a good steward of sustainable practices across communities around the world for more than 120 years. Join our team and you’ll see why our team members say they’re Proud to be IP.
The Culture You Will Experience:
International Paper promotes employee well-being by providing safe, caring and inclusive workplaces. You will learn Safety Leadership Principles and have the opportunity to opt into Employee Networking Circles such as IPVets, IPride, Women in IP, and the African American ENC. We invite you to bring your uniqueness, creativity, talents, experiences, and safety mindset to be a part of our increasingly diverse culture.
The Company You Will Join:
International Paper (NYSE: IP) is a leading global supplier of renewable fiber-based products. We produce corrugated packaging products that protect and promote goods, and enable worldwide commerce, and pulp for diapers, tissue and other personal care products that promote health and wellness. Headquartered in Memphis, Tenn., we employ approximately 38,000 colleagues globally. We serve customers worldwide, with manufacturing operations in North America, Latin America, North Africa and Europe. Net sales for 2021 were $19.4 billion. Additional information can be found by visiting InternationalPaper.com.
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
WASHINGTON, DC, US, 20004
Job posted: 2022-09-08