*This position is based in NYC or Washington, D.C.*
The Press Officer is a member of AIUSA’s Impact Department reporting to the Senior Press Officer. They aide the Senior Press Officer in the day-to-day management of AIUSA and its principles in the news. They are a strong writer, have a background in media relations and will aide, and lead, pitching and prepping of Amnesty spokespeople. They will work to increase Amnesty’s visibility in the media both online and offline. This role will be responsible for responding to media requests, proactively reaching out to and pitching media outlets, preparing materials for AIUSA spokespeople, including talking points, and be comfortable with narrative work, messaging, and framing.
- Works under direction of the Senior Press Officer on communications plans and media outreach activities ensuring that the public, and our members, are fully informed of our activities and given the opportunity to engage
- Drafts news releases, statements, advisories, op-ed pieces, message guidance, lines of response, fact sheets and other materials that supports media relations efforts.
- Leads maintenance of Public Affairs unit’s infrastructure, including weekly updates of media lists, daily proofing and distributing news releases, posting materials to AIUSA’s website, etc.
- Aides Senior Press Officer in message production, media planning, media pitching, producing media events, and expertly promotes, develops and implements policies, procedures and programs to meet AIUSA’s responsibilities for dissemination of information to media – both online and offline.
- Maintains daily contact with print, broadcast and digital media in coordination with the Senior Press Officer, coordinates press conferences and prepares briefing materials in advance of such interviews and appearances.
- Aggressively pitches media interviews, editorial boards, television, digital, and/or radio to further educate the public on our human rights work.
- Manages the development and implementation of AIUSA best practice and process on internally and externally, including press conferences and other media events.
- Closely monitors human rights news and events, including social media channels, in order to identify and develop media opportunities as well as conduct reporter research.
- Maintains working knowledge of AIUSA’s campaigns, programs, advocacy, and other initiatives and proactively recommends stories to pitch to press and emerging media.
- Supports monitoring and evaluation of media activities and shifts strategies based on data.
- Works collaboratively with AIUSA staff, members, issue experts, and media colleagues in regional offices, the International Secretariat, Amnesty sections, as well as spokespeople around the world.
- Focuses on media strategies to expand reach and authentically engage Black, Latino, and Spanish-speaking communities.
- Advances AIUSA’s brand awareness to Spanish-speaking audiences through engaging with Spanish language media outlets and Latinx audiences.
Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, English or related field, or equivalent professional experience; post-graduate coursework preferred.
- 4 – 6 years of experience in a fast-paced communications role, minimum of 3 years of direct experience dealing with the news media, including print and broadcast.
- Must write and edit proficiently and quickly and have extensive knowledge of the operations of the news media.
- Experience executing strategic communications strategies across multiple channels with proven track record of generating earned media.
- Extensive experience pitching reporters with strong relationships with national and regional media, including television bookers and producers.
- Non-profit, electoral, and/or community organizing experience preferred.
- Experience working on international human rights issues preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish preferred.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-12