Would you like a high profile, fast-paced, exciting position at an organization with an inspiring mission that you can feel good about coming to work every day? Look no further.
Help lead the fight to create economic security, opportunity and prosperity for all Americans while reforming the financial system to support the real economy and jobs while reducing inequality, racial injustice and poverty. Protecting Main Street consumers, investors, and retirees, Better Markets is a counterweight to Wall Street and the broader financial industry throughout the Washington policymaking and rulemaking processes. Our goal is nothing less than to make the American Dream available to everyone and ensure the economic and financial laws, rules and regulations work for them, not against them. That means everyone with a credit card, debit card, bank account, loan of any type or who uses any financial product or service is impacted by Better Markets’ work.
Averaging a quote almost every day in the major media outlets, Better Markets is a high-profile, highly sought-after advocacy organization that seeks an experienced, talented and highly motivated Press Secretary to manage, maintain, cultivate and expand our already substantial media-related activities and initiatives, including print, online, radio, TV and social media.
The Press Secretary will develop and implement a creative, proactive and comprehensive media plan across all platforms to engage and inform the public on economic, financial and financial reform issues. In conjunction with the Director of Communications, the Press Secretary will drive overall media strategy, write op-eds, press releases, talking points, and craft social media posts, and coordinate media events as necessary. The candidate must be organized, resourceful, and flexible, with a proven track record of crafting and executing media strategies, excellent writing skills, and a top-notch understanding of the news cycle and media environment. Attention to detail is a must as is being level-headed under pressure and working in a fast-pasted environment while handling multiple issues at the same time on deadline.
The Press Secretary will report directly to the Director of Communications and CEO.
- Collaborate with Communications Director on day-to-day media developments, inquiries and outreach.
- Proactively, creatively and quickly identify and respond to breaking and daily news where Better Markets can impact the news story, public debate, regulator deliberations and policy decisions.
- Proactively pitching print, TV, radio, etc., stories, and monitoring the news as it relates to economics, finance, financial reform and Better Markets’ work.
- Respond to media inquiries and drafting/editing press releases, media advisories, articles, opinion pieces, newsletters and blog posts, and social media channels.
- Cultivate and maintain Better Markets extensive existing media relationships while broadening and expanding them, including with digital media outlets and professionals.
- Track media mentions and accomplishments and measuring the effectiveness of activities and efforts.
- Maintaining and updating media distribution lists.
- Assist with drafting press releases, statements and talking points.
- Integrate the organization’s communications strategy across all digital platforms including Better Markets’ website and social media account
- Be available after business hours as needed to keep pace with busy news cycles
- Three to five years of experience working with media and a demonstrated record of building productive relationships with print, radio and TV reporters and producers.
- Pre-existing relationships with national reporters and/or on-the-record experience is ideal though not required.
- Concern for detail, organization, and accuracy; ability to work under pressure and manage various priorities and deadlines.
- Tech-savvy with hands-on experience with social media outlets, Cision and/or Meltwater and, as well as ability to manage a contact database.
- Exceptional writing skills, including making complex subjects understandable and crafting nuanced messaging.
- Ability to think creatively about how to effectively engage the media, the general public, and the legislative, regulatory and policy community.
- Superior organizational skills, including the ability to work effectively and collegially under tight deadlines and pressure while handling multiple projects simultaneously and being nimble and flexible in prioritizing and managing the workflow.
- Obsessively detail oriented with strong oral communication skills, relationship building and “people” skills.
- Track record of taking initiative, creative development, working independently and fostering a collegial work environment.
- Experience in economics/finance and/or banking/finance policy and research and/or familiarity with the Dodd-Frank Act is preferred, but not required.
- Working at a nonprofit and/or working with fundraisers or development professionals also a plus.
- A great sense of humor and a passion for the public interest.
Job posted: 2021-07-07