The League of Women Voters of the United States is seeking an experienced nonprofit communications professional to serve as Press Secretary. This position reports to the Senior Director of Communications & Digital Strategy and works in close collaboration with the rest of the communications department as well as staff throughout the organization to identify opportunities for greater League visibility in the press.
The Press Secretary is responsible for managing media requests, proactively engaging in traditional and online media outreach, regularly engaging with members of the press to maintain League relationships, preparing and staffing national League spokespersons for interviews, as well as coaching League leaders in the field. Ideal candidates are strong writers with deep experience successfully pitching national reporters and broadcast media, drafting press releases, statements, and op-eds.
As a core member of the communications department, the Press Secretary will represent LWV in coalition settings to lead messaging and ensure consistency of best practices, coordinate talking points among democracy organizations, and share regular findings with the field. The Press Secretary will also support other communications department goals and priorities as required. Strong candidates will be flexible in their workstyle, able to easily adjust to changing priorities, and a team player who can solve problems to meet organizational goals.
- Responsible for increasing League visibility in national media and maintaining strong relationships with key voting rights reporters
- Work with the organization’s program areas to develop and implement media outreach plans for specific campaigns
- Support the Senior Director of Communications & Digital Strategy with overall goals and strategies for the communications department
- Develop strategy and goals for increasing national League visibility, and work with the Senior Internal Communications Manager for consistency of message for state and local League visibility
- Oversee message strategy and work with the Communications Managers to ensure message consistency across all League platforms
- Draft communications tools and templates including: talking points, one-pagers, press releases, letters to the editor, communications trainings, and email copy on key League impact issues
- Manage League messaging to support litigation strategy related to lawsuits involving state Leagues
- Communicate between departments to maintain consistency of message and support the organization’s e-mail program
- Support national priorities of LWVUS communications team
- A portion of time may be spent doing work for LWVUS’s sister organization, LWV Education Fund.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5-10 years of communications experience, preferably non-profit, advocacy work, or membership organization
- Background in media relations or strategic communications, particularly with nonprofit, political and/or issue campaign experience desired
- Strong writing, editing, and presenting skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Relationships with national media and experience booking spokespersons on cable news
- Ability to work quickly under pressure, meet deadlines, and adapt to a fast-paced and changing environment
- Ability to work independently and manage individual projects, but also function well as a team player
- Knowledge of the League’s core voting rights issues
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) / Office 365 experience preferred
- Familiarity with Cision and Drupal preferred
- Commitment to the League’s mission, as well as our nonpartisan and diversity, equity, and inclusion policies, and a passion for voting rights
The League of Women Voters offers a generous benefits package that includes 95 percent employer-sponsored health insurance, dental and vision insurance, paid holidays, vacation days, sick days, pre-tax transit benefits, and the opportunity to contribute to a 401(k) plan.
This position is located in Washington, DC but currently all employees are working remotely until at least September 2021.
The salary range for this position is $75,000 – $90,000.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION:
The League of Women Voters of the United States is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace based on equal opportunity. The League is committed to hiring staff that reflects this country’s full range of racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic identity; a workplace where true diversity is fostered, and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged. We actively seek and encourage women, minorities, persons with disabilities, immigrants, including DACA recipients and individuals from traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
La Liga de Mujeres Votantes de los Estados Unidos está comprometida con un lugar de trabajo diverso e inclusivo basado en la igualdad de oportunidades. La Liga se compromete a contratar personal que refleje la gama completa de la raza, etnia, cultura, orientación sexual y la identidad socioeconómica de este país; un lugar de trabajo donde se fomenta la verdadera diversidad y se valoran e intercambian libremente diferentes perspectivas. Buscamos y alentamos activamente a las mujeres, las minorías, las personas con discapacidades, los inmigrantes, incluyendo los beneficiarios de DACA y las personas de comunidades tradicionalmente subrepresentadas, a aplicar.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email a cover letter, resume, 2-3 writing samples, and salary requirements to email@example.com
Job posted: 2021-09-27