Stand Up America is a progressive, digital-first advocacy organization with over 2 million grassroots members who are working to stand up to corruption and racist voter suppression and build a more representative democracy. We’re fighting for democracy reforms at the local, state, and federal level that would expand voting rights, reduce the impact of big money in our politics, and end structural barriers that conservatives have built to impede progressive change. Our members have driven more than a million constituent calls to their representatives, mobilized tens of thousands of protestors, contacted tens of millions of voters, and helped pass bold democracy reforms at the state and federal levels.
We envision a democracy where:
- Every American has representation, regardless of where they live.
- Racist barriers to the ballot are torn down and voting rights are expanded to ensure that voting is accessible, secure, and treated as the sacred right that it is.
- Americans from all walks of life can run for office and win based on the power of their ideas, voice, and experience—not on how much money they can raise from themselves or wealthy donors.
- Our government is responsive to the will of the American people — and will finally take bold action on the pressing issues facing our nation, from gun violence and climate change to immigration reform and racial & economic justice.
We seek a Press Secretary to join our growing communications team to manage our day-to-day press strategy and work with the Communications Director to increase our visibility as a democracy reform organization.
This position will join a mission-driven and energetic team that is fully remote for now.
- Report to the Communications Director, helping to develop and execute short and long-term communications plans;
- Work in collaboration with the political and digital teams to highlight our work;
- Build relationships with reporters, radio programs, podcasts, and other traditional and non-traditional outlets;
- Write, edit, and distribute press releases, statements, advisories, pitch notes and other communications materials;
- Collaborate with staff at progressive organizations to generate media attention for our work and coalition activity;
- Build and maintain press lists and other vehicles of distribution;
- Manage media events;
- Field reporter inquiries regarding our work; and
- Serve as an on-the-record spokesperson as needed and work with the Communications Director to train and prep colleagues to engage with press.
- 2-4 years experience working in communications for an advocacy, government, or political organization;
- Experience pitching reporters and media outlets on stories and interviews, especially in a crowded media environment;
- Existing relationships with reporters and producers;
- Excellent writing skills and experience developing press materials and statements;
- A keen eye for copy-editing,
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work effectively in high-intensity environments; and
- A sense of humor, even in the difficult moments.
- Passionate about voting rights, reducing the influence of big money in our elections, and building a more representative democracy;
- Someone who believes that grassroots activism matters;
- Creative and self-motivated to find opportunities to promote SUA’s work and objectives;
- Fun to work with and a true team player; and
- Coolheaded during high pressure scenarios and breaking news moments.
Stand Up America celebrates diversity in race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, class, ability, life experiences, and background. We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer–women, Black, Indigenous, and people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Stand Up America’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is key to our mission of building a more representative democracy and reforming a political system that has given white, wealthy Americans a louder voice and more power than Black, Indigenous, and people of color for far too long.
Salary & Benefits
Our benefits include:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, including 100% subsidy of monthly premiums
- SIMPLE IRA with matching of employee contributions up to 3% of salary
- 3 weeks flexible paid time off per calendar year, plus an additional week in December, for a total of 4 weeks per year
- Additional paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Annual professional development stipend
- Computer and accessories for at-home and in-office work
- A fun work environment with colleagues who are respectful of one another and passionate about their work.
Salary range: $75,000 – $90,000, commensurate with experience.
*We are currently fully remote with team members located across the country. Once our New York City office re-opens, employees may choose to work from the office all or part of the time, or choose to work remotely on a permanent basis. All employees will be required to attend some in-person meetings and retreats throughout the year, with travel expenses paid for by Stand Up America.
Job posted: 2021-07-06