Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Press Secretary, Gun Industry Accountability
Everytown for Gun Safety, the largest gun violence prevention advocacy organization in the nation, is seeking a passionate, dedicated professional to join our communications team as Press Secretary for Gun Industry Accountability. The position involves working with reporters to highlight various legal, regulatory, reputational, social, financial, and corporate issues relating to the gun industry. The role also involves handling communications related to Everytown’s ongoing litigation efforts on guns and the Second Amendment. The position reports to the Director of Federal and Political Communications.
Primary responsibilities include working with our Law & Policy, Investigations, and Litigation teams to highlight key developments about Everytown’s work in this space; proactively pitching reporters and fielding media inquiries; and developing messaging and communications plans for Everytown’s gun industry accountability, social media accountability, and litigation work. Candidates should feel comfortable managing projects under tight deadlines and fostering one-on-one relationships with journalists, especially national and legal beat reporters.
Strong writing and organizational skills are required. Job candidates should feel comfortable learning and explaining complex legal and policy positions to reporters and frequently drafting messaging documents, quotes, statements, and releases.
- 4+ years of communications experience, ideally on campaigns, in a legal or corporate accountability setting, or in an advocacy environment
- An interest in proactively pitching day-to-day stories, as well as building long-term narratives about gun industry accountability and gun safety wins in the courts
- Exceptional writing skills, with the ability to create dynamic, persuasive communications materials – including press releases, talking points, op-eds, remarks, briefing materials, and more – involving sometimes dense and complex topics
- Willingness to work with a growing team in a fast-paced, campaign-like environment (including sometimes unpredictable hours and crisis situations)
- While not required, knowledge of gun violence prevention issues is a plus
- Position is based in either New York City or Washington, D.C. with a hybrid work schedule
The salary range for this position is $72,500 to $82,500 per year, depending on experience. Everytown offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision benefits; paid time off; a 401(k) match; education assistance; and more.
About Everytown for Gun Safety
Everytown for Gun Safety Action Fund (“Everytown for Gun Safety”) is the largest gun violence prevention organization in the nation with nearly ten million supporters, including parents, students, survivors, educators, gun owners, and Americans fighting for commonsense gun safety. Through victories in Congress, statehouses, corporate America, the courts, and town halls across the country, Everytown is helping change how Americans think about this public health threat. At the core of Everytown is Moms Demand Action, a grassroots movement of American mothers founded the day after the Sandy Hook tragedy, and Students Demand Action. Learn more at everytown.org and follow us @Everytown.
Everytown for Gun Safety provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-11-12