Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Press Strategist – Power and Democracy
Who we are:
Situated at the forefront of the national stage in the racial justice movement, Advancement Project National Office is a cutting edge, no-holds-barred national nonprofit whose team members are dedicated to creating free and safe communities for people of color. From ending the school-to-prison pipeline, to the fight to expand the right to vote, from calling for a complete overhaul of how we view the police and carceral state, to fighting for immigrant justice, Advancement Project National Office team members impact real change from the ground up. This moment demands alignment, sharp strategic thinking and creativity to imagine a more just world in which racism no longer exists and all people of color can be free and safe – and we are excited to bring on new talent to change our world.
We are seeking a skilled press strategist to develop and implement a comprehensive media strategy for the organization’s work on voting. The press strategist will work to eliminate legal and structural barriers to voting and advance the right to vote. The press strategist will work to shift narratives around key issues impacting people of color in the electoral process. They will create press materials and maintain key relationships with top journalists, editors, producers, editorial boards, and publications. The press strategist will also collaborate with internal stakeholders and organizational partners on press strategy for national, state, and local campaigns and initiatives. We are looking for a strong writer with a solid background in media relations. This role will sit in the Communications team.
This position reports to the Deputy Director of Communications and will be part of our bargaining unit with compensation determined by the bargaining unit’s compensation structure.
What you’ll do:
- Develop a comprehensive media strategy for the organization’s work on access to the ballot and the right to vote.
- Analyze press narratives to inform press strategy, as well as broader communication strategies.
- Raise the profile of staff and member spokespeople in media.
- Coordinate onsite press management including staffing and roles.
- Manage media monitoring and reports on successes and opportunities for growth for staff.
- Create press materials and maintain key relationships with key journalists, editors, producers, editorial boards, and publications.
- Pitch stories and features to print, TV, radio, podcasts, and digital platforms.
- Maintain press lists and media contacts, as well as cultivating relationships with media contacts.
- Access breaking news and support rapid response/crisis communications.
- Create press materials, including news releases, statements, quotes, op-eds, LTEs, advisories, talking points, lines of responses, notes to reporters.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders and organizational partners on press strategy for national, state, and local campaigns and initiatives.
- Contribute to external partner campaigns by acting as a thought leader and providing necessary support.
- Support partner communications needs, including developing and implementing strategies, providing onsite support and training, as needed.
- Work closely with internal teams to implement planned strategies, special projects and events.
- Develop, organize, and sometimes lead internal and external media trainings.
What you need to be considered:
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in a similar position and/or performing similar tasks.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Ability to frequently travel locally and frequently travel regionally and nationally.
- Ability to occasionally work evenings and occasionally work weekends, as needed.
With 3 years of relevant experience, this position pays a minimum of $67,899.31 per our compensation structure
Please submit a writing sample with your cover letter
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-06-20