Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Principal, AWS Federal Affairs & Public Policy , AWS PP, Americas
Work hard and make history with Amazon Web Services (AWS) Public Policy. The Principal, AWS Federal Affairs, will join a growing, dynamic team in the Americas and be able to immediately and directly enhance Amazon’s advocacy at the US federal level in support of our cloud computing business. Like our business interests, our policy issues are broad, forward-thinking, and driven by what is best for our customers.
The Principal will be a highly visible position that will create, execute, and manage key public policy priorities for AWS as a lobbyist focused in the US Federal space. Working with the Head of Congressional and Political Affairs, with members of the AWS Public Policy Americas leadership, and other internal stakeholder and business partners, the Principal will represent AWS positions on key issues before the US Congress.
The Principal will work collaboratively and transparently with business units to ensure alignment between business priorities and public policy goals at the US federal level. The Principal will manage AWS Congressional relationships, with a focus on the Republican Caucus in the US Senate, developing Congressional outreach and communication strategies, and manage and coordinate federal-level political advocacy strategies.
The position is based in Washington, DC.
Key job responsibilities
- Work collaboratively and transparently with the US Federal AWS Public Policy team, with AWS Public Policy Americas leadership and with the AWS Legal team and other internal stakeholders to ensure alignment between core business priorities and public policy goals.
- Anticipate challenges/obstacles our business could face as the federal public policy landscape evolves.
- Ensure policymaker awareness of AWS’ business model. Effect change and drive policymaking that benefits our customers. Manage and coordinate AWS advocacy efforts to Congress.
- Coordinate AWS Public Policy objectives with broader Amazon policy objections, including direct work with the Consumer Policy team Some travel may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree required; JD preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience with a keen working understanding of public policy, including the mechanics of legislative and administrative policymaking process and procedures, effective lobbying techniques, and collaboration with other companies and trade groups. Candidates will be able to demonstrate their experience through work within government, companies, consultancies (public policy or communications), trade associations, or equivalent organizations.
- Familiarity with program management tools, techniques and software, including strong skills of breaking down tasks, simplifying roadmaps, establishing owners and timelines, and status reporting.
- Demonstrated experience leading strategic initiatives and driving them to a successful conclusion.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and evaluate outcomes.
- Experience managing varied stakeholders and the ability move forward in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge.
- Ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others – with strong interpersonal skills, judgement, and political acumen.
- Experience evaluating and measuring the effectiveness of activities in relation to business goals on an ongoing basis.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Job posted: 2022-07-24