Principal Government Affairs Lobbyist
Our work matters. We help people get the medicine they need to feel better and live well. We do not lose sight of that. It fuels our passion and drives every decision we make.
Job Posting Title
Principal Government Affairs Lobbyist
The Principal Government Affairs Lobbyist is responsible for leading advocacy efforts on behalf of Prime on state or federal-level Pharmacy Benefits Management (PBM) issues. In partnership with the Government Affairs team, this role will develop a work plan that will include identifying priority issues and executing a state or federal-specific advocacy strategy. The role will develop important external relationships with state or federal government officials as well as key industry stakeholders, and will represent and advocate for Prime’s interests to other external audiences such as the industry association, coalitions, and other state or federal-based policy setting organizations. This position will work with other Government Affairs staff to identify new and emerging issues and develop advocacy materials.
- Develop and lead the implementation of strategy, relationship development, public policy engagement and overall business advancement initiatives with key state and local, or federal policy makers
- Identify state or federal legislative, executive branch and regulatory proposals and policies impacting Prime’s strategic imperatives
- Partner with Government Affairs team to develop Prime’s perspective on new issues and develop and implement strategies to advance Prime’s perspective
- Represent the interest of Prime and Prime’s owner Blues Plans during the state legislative and regulatory process. This may include activities such as public testimony, amendment negotiations, educational meetings with legislators and staff, and comment letter writing
- Monitor progress of legislative and regulatory issues of interest to Prime
- Develop and implement appropriate strategies and tactics to achieve the desired outcomes through a combination of direct lobbying and legislative coalition building
- represent the interest of Prime within Prime’s trade association (PCMA), as well as within other industry trade associations, policy forums and NGOs.
- Build and maintain relationships with Prime client government affairs, pharmacy, compliance and legal teams.
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with high level state legislators, regulators and staff
- Lead state or federal level issue management, coordinating advocacy activities of contract lobbyists and other internal/external stakeholders; work with corporate communications to ensure consistency of messages
- Direct and manage political contributions from Prime’s employee PAC
- Brief senior management on state or federal level developments
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Pharmacy, Healthcare Administration or related area of study, or equivalent combination of education and/or relevant work experience; HS diploma or GED is required
- 8 years of related work experience, including 5 years of PBM experience and 5 years of experience working with legislators and regulators at the state and/or federal level
- Must be eligible to work in the United States without need for work visa or residency sponsorship
- Deep understanding of the political process with the ability to persuade and influence internal/external stakeholders with multiple and diverse interests
- Ability to readily master new health policy issues and identify priorities and positions based on business needs
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with both internal and external stakeholders, including executives
- Ability to become established as a trusted advisor to senior leadership on health policy issues
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Master’s Degree in public policy, public health or pharmacy
- 1 year experience working in clinical, retail, hospital or managed care pharmacy
- 5 years experience in healthcare policy or lobbying
- Eligible for pharmacist licensure
Minimum Physical Job Requirements
- Ability to travel up to 75% of the time
- Constantly required to sit, use hands to handle or feel, talk and hear
- Frequently required to reach with hands and arms
- Occasionally required to stand, walk and stoop, kneel, and crouch
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Reports to Vice President in the Government Affairs department
Prime Therapeutics LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran, disabled, and other diverse candidates to apply and be considered for open positions.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-09