Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Principal, Policy Development, Global AI/ML Policy
The AWS Global AI/ML Public Policy team is seeking a driven, detail-oriented, creative, and strategic policy professional to manage our global policy development process. Reporting to the Lead, Global AI/ML Policy, you will be responsible for monitoring and analyzing the global AI/ML policy environment in order to anticipate future trends and their impact on our business and customers. You will be part of a small 2-4-person team, and will work across many cross functional groups (research, legal, product, etc).
This role requires the ability to develop policy positions on specific issues relating to AI/ML, based on strategic direction/priorities from your team members, internal feedback, and customer experience. You will validate your assessment of external policy and regulatory trends through data and proof points. Your work product should not only influence internal audiences in their understanding of external trends and the need for the position you and the team will advocate for, but also position AWS as a thought leader on the responsible use and deployment of AI/ML with external policy audiences.
This role may be based in the UK, Europe, or the Americas, and will require some travel.
You will be a self-starter who can quickly digest complex policy documents and clearly formulate and communicate recommendations and plans to peers, third parties, and executives, and can also drive collaborative decisions and deliver results. You will also be comfortable providing counsel and guidance to a wide variety of internal and external counterparts and collaborators crossing a number of aspects of AI/ML policy, from rights and legal based arguments to industrial policy.
You will have extensive policy analysis and development experience working with emerging technologies, preferably AI/ML, and a track record of driving strategic policy development. The role requires a high-judgment, self-motivated, creative professional who can develop networks. This individual will have the demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic organization, and have a track record of generating results, as well as extensive experience in project management. They will excel at paying close attention to important details and in delivering results. Excellent writing skills are imperative for this role. The successful candidate must think and communicate clearly and be able to formulate a clear viewpoint on complicated issues, creating a concise and well-written narrative to express opinion. Experience working in-house (whether in government, a not-for-profit, or business) and working in teams is key. This is not an academic role – you will need to develop a deep company-wide business understanding to make decisions.
Key job responsibilities
Key job responsibilities
• Provide counsel to the Team Lead and executives on policy positioning, approaches and messaging.
• Develop and manage relationships with a range of top-tier policy developers and influencers.
• Write and evolve messaging and talking points in a thoughtful and strategic way.
• Evaluates the fit of the potential solutions to the business problems, and their limitations, by partnering with functional experts.
• Invents new solutions if needed.
• Develops solutions that are usable beyond the scope of the current problem.
• 10+ years of related professional experience.
• Bachelor Degree in law, public policy, economics, business, communications or similar degree A keen working understanding of policymaking processes and government relations
• Written and spoken fluency in English.
• Experience presenting and defending policy decisions to the public policy community and representing the organization effectively at policy conferences.
• Familiarity with government and/or multilateral organizations with an awareness of AI/ML stakeholders and influencers.
• Excellent intra-functional communication and cross-functional communication, and proven ability for consensus building.
• Proven ability to work in an ambiguous environment and quickly identify solutions to problems.
• The ability to dive deep on subject matters to provide thoughtful and comprehensive recommendations for a variety of complex situations.
• An entrepreneurial mindset – an ownership mentality with regards to your projects.
• Experience managing external consultants.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-24