Product Policy Manager
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of experience working on policy issues within government, think tanks, public interest groups or relevant industry associations.
- Experience working with product teams.
- Experience working with an international body preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; strong track record of executing cross-functional projects.
- Team player with a sense of humor and the ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing and sometimes stressful environment.
- Ability to lead and evaluate issues independently in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated experience successfully managing a team.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and with ambiguity and drive projects to completion.
- Excellent attention to detail and authorization to work in the United States.
About the job
As a member of Google’s Government Affairs and Public Policy team, you’ll be part of a diverse global government affairs team, working across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Google to bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You’re passionate about the opportunity to shape the future of how we use and build technology for everyone.
As a Product Policy Manager, you’ll help shape YouTube’s policy efforts relating to content policy and emerging products. You will coordinate with the global Policy team, Trust and Safety, Product, Business, and key other cross-functional partners in Marketing and Legal to execute our policy strategy, develop our external narrative around key policy challenges, and advise product teams through the public policy lens. You’ll develop, organize, manage, and communicate critical plans, initiatives, and strategy, while tracking various regulatory proposals and analyzing their potential impact on YouTube’s business.
Google takes its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) team leads the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Google leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. While we focus on challenges affecting the internet, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology intersect.
- Advise product teams on policy implications during the product development and launch process.
- Work closely with Trust and Safety and Legal on content policy implications.
- Develop resources to support policy work with regulators, trade associations, industry partners, non-profits, and partners.
- Engage directly with policymakers, industry players, and other stakeholders to shape regulations.
- Develop and execute policy strategy in a way that benefits YouTube’s users and our business. Work cross-functionally to develop policy positions for review by Google’s Policy, Legal, and Management teams.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-03