Program Associate and Director of Outreach, Digital Trade and Data Governance Hub
The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs (ESIA) is one of the world’s leading schools of international affairs. Located in the heart of Washington, DC, its mission is to educate the next generation of international leaders, conduct research that advances understanding of important global issues, and engage the policy community in the United States and around the world. The school’s unique location—just steps from the White House, World Bank, International Monetary Fund, U.S. Department of State, and dozens of other U.S. and international organizations—enriches its teaching and research, providing students and scholars with unmatched opportunities to engage with the U.S. and international policy communities.
The Elliott School is currently seeking an experienced communications professional, a Program Associate, to support the
Digital Trade Hub. The Digital Trade and Governance Hub is designed to:
- Educate policymakers in the legislative and executive branches of the US government on digital trade and data governance. We will also work with partners abroad.
- Encourage dialogue and greater understanding about digital trade, new digital technologies, and data governance issues among all interested parties
- Serve as a resource for the public and press on news and research related to digital trade and data governance issues form around the world
- Build understanding of trade and data governance issues in the US and global trade communities with dialogue, education , and evidence-based research
- Conduct research to inform outreach and coursework
Reporting to the Principal Investigator the purpose of this position is to do outreach to policymakers and the press, as well as program management on behalf of an academic program or initiative. This role will serve as a point of contact for the Digital Trade Hub and provide functional support for the program administration, and pre-award and post-award management. Functional support could include answering most inquiries, managing web presence, outreach to policymakers, press and the public, marketing efforts, drafting program materials, planning and executing events, tracking spending and processing payments, preparing and analyzing reports, and similar duties. Often these positions make recommendations to policy and procedure. Typical duties often are administrative in nature including tasks that are routine, and under general or limited supervision within the department or program. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Directs outreach to clients ( executive and legislative staff) on digital trade and data governance issues. Describes what hub can do and works to gain new clients.
- Responsible for building hub audience with events, training, newsletters etc…
- Works with project director to manage and develop new collaborating organizations and funders.
- At direction of director/research director, works on training, research or analytical tasks
- Plans and coordinates event logistics. Responsible for reserving event space, securing technical support, event setup and breakdown, event marketing and advertising, and arranging catering.
- Prepares and analyzes reports for funders, trainees and other stakeholders
- Provides Grant and Sponsored Project Administration, including grant proposal and budget development, budget tracking, ensuring compliance with sponsor guidelines, and assisting with close-out procedures
- Updates and maintains institutional financial and personnel records. Reviews and approves payroll on a bi-weekly basis for all non-exempt employees. Resolves timecard discrepancies and assures proper documentation of all changes.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Experience working with policymakers in the legislative and/or Executive branch (required)
- Experience in outreach including preparing and maintaining websites, newsletters, press releases, and social media accounts (required)
- Strong writing, editing, and interpersonal skills (required)
- Interest (expertise) in digital trade and/or data governance issues (strongly desired)
- Keen attention to detail
- Superb organizational skills
- Prior budgeting experience
- High proficiency with MS Office, especially Excel
- Ability to work with limited supervision
Send resume and cover letter that outlines how you meet required qualifications…to firstname.lastname@example.org DO NOT CALL.
Job posted: 2019-10-03