Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
We have an exciting opportunity for a Program Director to join ISEED, Inclusive STEMM Ecosystems for Equity & Diversity, within our Office of Science, Policy and Society Programs.
Reporting to the ISEED Director, the Program Director will support the strategic direction and operation of multiple ISEED initiatives including but not limited to AAAS’s Arise Network, Noyce Initiative, Improving Undergraduate STEM Education (IUSE) Initiative, and the L’Oreal USA For Women in Science fellowship program. The Program Director provides leadership, strategic direction, and operationalization for each of these programs and their corresponding project teams to advance the office priorities and strategic objectives of the ISEED unit.
The Program Director also serves as a representative of the ISEED Director (and AAAS) in developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders. As a member of ISEED’s leadership team, the Program Director supports the overall operations of the unit and contributes to the development of new initiatives with the Director in alignment with the unit priorities. The individual in this position has the opportunity to make an impact on the STEMM education landscape and enhance equitable career readiness and build inclusive infrastructures for tomorrow’s STEMM workforce.
Are you ready to be a Force for Science?
What You’ll Do
- Provide strategic leadership, direction, and advanced project management for multiple initiatives focused on broadening participation in STEMM, organizational-wide diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts, including supporting inclusive research and innovation initiatives, preparing, and retaining diverse K-12 teachers, and supporting federal grant STEMM program PI communities.
- Conceptualize, plan, and implement projects and initiatives including activities, communication, dissemination, budget monitoring, and collaborator engagement.
- Collaborating with the ISEED Director, develop and maintain strategic funder and relations.
- Review, evaluate, and communicate the effectiveness of projects and their impact utilizing logic models, assessment plans, and other analytic measures.
- Preparation and dissemination of project deliverables, project reports, publications, presentations, and oversee creation of media-rich content.
- Maintain familiarity with issues affecting project and ability to act as liaison with scientific, engineering, educational, governmental groups for community outreach to discuss AAAS programs and issues.
- Oversee the development of project website content and communications to disseminate research and promising practices and support of STEMM workforce skills development.
- Oversee the conception, development, implementation, and evaluation of multiple conferences and convenings to support project and initiative goals and deliverables.
- Pre- & Post-Award Grant Responsibilities
- Provide intellectual contribution and research to ISEED initiatives and thereby expand the unit’s impact.
- Develop and write website content and regularly publish newsletters highlighting research at minority-serving institutions and STEMM workforce skills development.
- Search, review, summarize and analyze literature and production of annotated bibliographies related to STEMM and pre-service teacher education.
- Write research briefs and policy papers and/or reports.
- Publish in refereed journals and other scholarly outlets, as well as communicate research in professional and public outlets (e.g., talks, presentations, participating in panels, etc.)
- Develop and maintain a variety of existing and new stakeholder relationships with organization leadership, students, faculty, PIs, technical recruiters, researchers, evaluators, innovators, inventors, and entrepreneurs to support ISEED goals and objectives.
- Provide leadership, mentorship, and management to team members and provide oversight of several external contractors and vendors in support of convenings and projects.
- Contribute to developing, implementing, and iterating the ISEED strategic plan.
- Work collaboratively to extend ISEED’s achievements on diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), institutional change and workforce-oriented plans nationally and internationally.
- PhD in STEMM, Education, or related field (or demonstrated success on projects of similar scope)
- Seven to ten years experience in program development and implementation with responsibilities including budget management, assessment of program impact, and project management
- Demonstrated experience working in STEMM Education or STEMM diversity, equity & inclusion efforts
- Demonstrated knowledge or experience in organizational change or systemic change efforts
- Previous supervision or team leadership experience and management of direct reports
- Demonstrated experience writing, receiving, and managing grants, and budget
- Preferred experience with STEMM policy and initiatives related to education, diversity, equity & inclusion
- Expert knowledge and experience engaging with inclusive STEMM education pathways, capacity-building issues for change and transformation, and broadening participation in STEMM
- Conceptualize, plan, and implement in-person and virtual convenings to support ISEED and project goals
- Technical skills, including familiarity with content management systems and with contemporary software packages
- Working knowledge of social media networking, individual platforms, general trends, and experience cultivating new communities
Submit a resume and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by February 10, 2022. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A Recruiter will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview. Learn more here
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. No visa sponsorship is available for this position.
Job posted: 2022-01-10