Program Officer, Crux Alliance
As an experienced grantmaking professional, the Program Officer will help manage a suite of anchor grantees and provide input, leadership and fundraising effort to the overall Crux Alliance with the goal of expanding the effectiveness and reach of the Crux methodology. The Program Officer will be directly responsible for a subset of grantmaking for the Crux Secretariat. The Program Officer will report to the Executive Director of Crux and serve as a critical thought partner for the overall Crux effort.
Specifically, the Program Officer will be responsible for:
Program Development, Delivery, and Performance
- Developing, directing, managing and monitoring a results-based grantmaking portfolio, including setting out a theory of change, clear goals, and applicable metrics – Objectives and Key Results (or, OKRs)
- Writing strategy recommendations and background papers, as well as presenting proposed grantees for funding
- Advising on and participating in the strategic direction of the Crux Alliance
- Undertaking initial screening of potential grantee proposals; managing grantee relationships; analyzing and assessing background information; conducting site visits (once safe travel resumes); determining appropriate funding levels; preparing docket materials; monitoring active grants and reviewing progress reports
- Working with both Energy Innovation and Aspen Global Change Institute to ensure adherence to internal grantmaking processes via appropriate documentation, grant budgeting, and reporting
Sector Knowledge and Profile Building
- Proactively maintaining extensive external networks with experts and opinion leaders within the climate change and sector-specific community to ensure decision-making is shaped by up-to-date insights and research
- Monitoring developments in the field to identify emerging needs, gaps, and opportunities
- Undertaking or commissioning sector-relevant research and analysis to inform the effective development, delivery and evaluation of programs and initiatives
- Providing leadership to the wider philanthropic and bilateral donor community on the relevant subject areas
- Engaging with the community of aligned donors and practitioners working to advance the goals of the Crux Alliance
- Identifying appropriate partners and collaborations to advance grantmaking strategies including, as appropriate, active participation in collaborations, conferences and workshops
- Representing Crux at conferences and meetings with NGOs, funders, experts, and consultants; ensure follow-up, as needed. This may include international and domestic travel (again, once safe travel resumes)
Profile of the Successful Candidate
Crux Secretariat seeks a seasoned professional with ample experience in the philanthropic field; in other words, someone who recognizes the difference between supporting and doing. The role of program officer is a unique position because it operates at the nexus of funding and action. The role helps on-the-ground implementers be more successful, and provides an inside view of the evolving policy landscape. The ideal candidate will have a passion for the work of climate mitigation and be a dogged champion of the Crux approach of providing expert technical assistance to policy makers in the sectors and countries that matter most for climate mitigation. The Program Officer will possess at least seven years’ experience in the climate change field, demonstrated leadership and management experience, and the ability to engage in and incubate a variety of programs at any given time. They will have deep experience in one or more sectors (e.g. power sector, transport, etc.) with a corresponding network. Experience in the building sector will get special consideration. Experience working with one or more of the large emitters—especially in East or Southeast Asia—would also be an advantage.
More specifically, Energy Innovation seeks a professional with the following attributes:
- Demonstrated record of developing and executing sophisticated strategies, including the effective allocation of set resources to achieve ambitious goals
- Intellectual agility and the ability to analyze, think critically, and understand emerging issues and opportunities in accelerating the transition to a clean energy future
- Ability to solve problems with bold thinking and innovation, displaying strong intellectual curiosity
Command of Philanthropic Dynamics
- Adept at setting clear and challenging goals, and committing the organization to improved performance, coupled with a willingness to be accountable for the oversight of implementation
- Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty; the ability to adapt nimbly and lead others through the multi-dimensional nature of philanthropy
- Exceptional project management, prioritization and planning skills, with demonstrated success producing high-quality deliverables on time and within budget
- A leader who is viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity and forethought in their approach to making decisions; the ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for the organization and mission
- A strong sense of self-awareness and a sense of humor
We seek to have someone in place in Summer 2021.
This position offers a competitive salary, and excellent benefits. We actively welcome all candidates from a wide range of backgrounds who have the skills to fulfill this role – regardless of compensation history.
All applications are held in strict confidence. Please submit your credentials and a letter of interest through our private applicant portal to The 360 Group at:
Applications should be directed to the attention of Maureen Capitolo, Principal, or Vincent Robinson, Managing Partner. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; earlier applicants may receive priority consideration. To be considered, The 360 Group encourages all interested candidates to submit their applications promptly, via the confidential applicant portal linked above.
At The 360 Group, we know that a richly diverse mix of professionals makes organizations more effective. Using that principle as our “North Star,” we make diversity a hallmark of our firm, and all of our search engagements.
Learn more about The 360 Group at the360group.us.
Job posted: 2021-05-13