Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Program Officer, Public and Patient Education
The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) is an independent nonprofit organization authorized by Congress in 2010. Its mission is to fund research that will provide patients, their caregivers and clinicians with the evidence-based information needed to make better-informed healthcare decisions. PCORI is committed to continually seeking input from a broad range of stakeholders to guide its work.
Under the direction of the Associate Director, Public Engagement, the Program Officer II is responsible for strategic decision-making and high-level management of stakeholder engagement program activities that advance PCORI’s Engagement mission. The primary responsibilities include providing intellectual and organizational leadership in designing and facilitating presentations for various stakeholder groups; reviewing, awarding and managing a portfolio of Engagement Awards in consultation with the Engagement Awards team; and evaluating program activities and award portfolio based on strategic direction of program. Additional areas of focus include translating data into meaningful information for an end-user audience. In addition, the Program Officer II will lead stakeholder engagement efforts on key priority areas, working across business units at PCORI to ensure that stakeholder views are understood and inform PCORI directions. The Program Officer II helps to match stakeholder priorities to PCORI funding opportunities in both Science and Engagement, along with the development of Research Synthesis evidence products.
Duties and Responsibilities
Stakeholder Engagement Responsibilities:
- Work with the Associate Director of Public Engagement as a PCORI liaison to stakeholder constituencies, responsible for regular communication with, and collecting input from, stakeholders and stakeholder organizations.
- Collaborate with the Associate Director of Public Engagement on establishing explicit, transparent processes to solicit and obtain stakeholder feedback on PCORI priorities, research, results and dissemination plans.
- Work with the Associate Director of Public Engagement to obtain, synthesize, and facilitate representation of the views of stakeholder communities to PCORI boards and staff.
- Actively engage in PCORI’s processes for reviewing and awarding Engagement Award applications received through the PCORI funding announcement process.
- Monitor Engagement awardees’ attainment of contract milestones and overall project progress, facilitating shared learning opportunities for relevant stakeholders.
- Collaborates with Engagement Awards Program Director and contract management staff to assess status of projects.
- Share updates and learnings from the Engagement Award portfolio with the Public and Patient Engagement team on a monthly basis.
- Collaborate with Engagement Officer, Science, Research Synthesis, Engagement Awards and Evaluation & Analysis staff to determine which data and learnings from PCORI’s funded work should be prioritized as meaningful information for end-user audiences.
- Determine which information is most appropriate to share with which stakeholder groups, and how.
- Develop guidance documents, tools, and presentation materials in conjunction with contractor(s) to be utilized by PCORI staff in award management, internal and external presentations, and publications
Incumbent(s) in this position may be required to perform other duties and special assignments not specifically stated above.
Statements outlined in this section are designated as essential job functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills; collegial, energetic, able to develop productive relationships with colleagues, awardees, consultants, external funders, and others who contribute to program development and management
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including public presentations. Experience in the development of tools and guidance to support engagement desired.
- Close knowledge of one or more key PCORI stakeholder groups, e.g. purchaser/employer groups, payers, clinician groups, etc.
- Experience in leading and managing stakeholder workshops and meetings.
- Ability to work independently and to manage projects and teams
- Master’s degree in a health related area (e.g., MPH, MPA, MPP, MSN; or MBA) preferred
- Familiarity with Comparative Effectiveness Research
- Experience with management of grant or contract awards that include community or patient engagement highly desirable.
- 8+ years’ progressive experience and demonstrated success in stakeholder representation, coalition-building, grassroots organizing or policy in health related sectors.
- Training or extensive experience in communication with multiple and diverse communities.
- Experience and interest in use of social/digital media and other innovative approaches to outreach, communication and stakeholder surveys e.g., webinars, videos, etc.
- Experience and interest in use of electronic methods to compile and synthesize stakeholder data.
The health and safety of our employees is a top priority. As part of that commitment, PCORI requires all employees, regardless of remote work status, to be vaccinated against COVID-19. As a prospective and/or new employee at PCORI, you will be required to comply with PCORI’s vaccination policy, report your vaccination status, and provide proof of vaccination. Compliance with the policy does allow for exceptions, but those exceptions will only be granted in circumstances related to medical conditions, disabilities, and sincerely held religious beliefs. Continuing with this application indicates your intent to comply with PCORI’s Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
PCORI conducts background checks on all applicants.
PCORI’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
PCORI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity both internal and external to the workplace. You can learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion here. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-01-17