Programs and Communications Manager
Are you interested in advancing women’s policy and political leadership? Are you interested in
learning more about the inner workings of nonprofit organizations? Are you highly organized
with superior writing skills? Do you thrive in environments where you’re given a lot of
responsibility and autonomy?
The Public Leadership Education Network (PLEN) seeks a Programs and Communications
Manager to serve as part of our small team. The Programs and Communications Manager will
plan, coordinate, and execute PLEN programs; lead the organization’s communications and
digital media efforts; hire and supervise PLEN interns; and assist with day-to-day operations
and administrative tasks.
The Public Leadership Education Network (PLEN) is the only national organization with the sole
focus of preparing college women for leadership in the public policy arena. PLEN is a
nonpartisan 501(c)(3) organization based in Washington, D.C. PLEN’s mission is to increase
the number of women in top leadership positions influencing all aspects of the public policy
process. Each year, PLEN brings hundreds of women students from colleges and universities
across the country to Washington, D.C. They experience first-hand how public policy is shaped
and implemented at the national level. They are better prepared to become the next generation
of public policy decision makers.
● Coordinate all aspects of planning and facilitating seminar logistics, delivery, and
execution; including recruiting volunteers, panelists, and keynote speakers;
● Manage student recruitment efforts with PLEN member and non-member schools;
● Process registrations and housing, working directly with students and faculty/staff at
colleges and universities across the country;
● Prepare seminar materials;
● Serve as primary interface with students before and during programs;
● Serve as primary interface with volunteers and panelists, including PLEN alumnae;
● Collaborate with the Executive Director and other staff on curriculum design on a wide
range of policy topics for six seminars per year;
● Support the creation of program reports and evaluation; and
● Other duties as assigned.
Communications & Digital Media (25%)
● Manage and lead content creation for all social media accounts; Manage all aspects of the organization’s website (WordPress) including the creation of
content that highlights student, alumna, and organizational achievements; and
● Lead marketing efforts including blast email program and written materials.
● Lead recruitment and management of interns; and
● Lead professional development of interns.
● Maintain office and program supplies;
● Answer phone inquiries, sort mail, and prepare outgoing mail;
● Assist with financial administration; and
● Lead data entry efforts for program participants, speakers, donors, and other PLEN
● Bachelor’s degree and 1-2 years of professional experience (including internships),
nonprofit experience strongly preferred;
● Superb written and oral communications skills a must;
● Experience managing digital and social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram,
LinkedIn, Twitter, and Slack;
● Familiarity with a broad range of public policy, current affairs, and politics;
● Highly motivated self-starter and problem solver with strong work ethic and can-do
● Demonstrated personal responsibility, attention to detail, and excellent organizational
● Experience managing projects and a track record of follow-through, growth, and
● Flexibility for travel in and around DC metro area and ability to work some
evening/weekend hours if needed;
● Calm under pressure;
● Proven ability to interface with the public in a customer-focused environment;
● Sense of humor; and
● Commitment to PLEN’s mission.
● Experience managing volunteers for a nonprofit;
● Experience with CRM and other communications platforms such as EveryAction,
Mailchimp, Constant Contact;
● Video/photo editing experience;
● Knowledge of higher education institutions;
● Experience interning or working on Capitol Hill; and
● Knowledge of or experience with program evaluation.
At the moment, this position is fully remote but is expected to be based in Washington, DC
post-COVID. Work is generally performed in an office setting, but the Programs and
Communications Manager may be required to work in other settings conducive to performing
the tasks required to complete assignments. Travel around the DC metro area and extended
hours may be occasionally required.
Salary commensurate with experience, starting in the low 40s. Excellent benefits package
including health coverage; paid annual, sick, and holiday leave; retirement (including a 3%
employer match); and other benefits.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and a non-academic writing sample in one PDF file to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Qualified candidates will be contacted on a rolling basis. No phone calls,
PLEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
PLEN does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender,
gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military
status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and
welcoming environment for our staff, volunteers, program participants, and community
Job posted: 2020-12-23