Public Advocacy – Executive VP Public Advocacy
Strategic Direction and Implementation
CompTIA’s Public Sector and Advocacy (PSA) disciplines are an integral part of the
organization.Our engagement with our member companies and our interaction with government bodies, raises the relevance and profile of the organization as a whole.Therefore, the EVP is responsible for:
- Working across departments and among the PSA staff to ensure creation of and collaboration on shared goals
- Alignment with other departments and disciplines within the organization
- Direction and oversight for the marketing and communications function of PSA activities to ensure it amplifies strategic goals and aligns with the broader organization.
- Direction and oversight for PSA member recruitment and engagement (both from an operational perspective as well as being an ambassador for CompTIA with membership).
- Input and oversight with regard to events and public facing activities to ensure alignment with
broader strategic goals and priorities
- Direction and oversight of all lobbying activities undertaken on behalf of CompTIA and its member
CompTIA’s government relations functions include State Government Affairs, Federal Policy, International Policy and Regulatory Compliance.We also closely align with our public sector offerings which include the State, Local and Education Council, the Human Services IT Advisory Group, and the Space Enterprise Council. Management responsibilities include:
- Oversight and coordination of a team of 15 -20 PSA staff
- Providing guidance and direction to direct reports
- Approving all outside lobbying contracts
- Ensuring clarity around priorities and goals for the department
- Approving requests for expenditures to a certain level of authority
- Managing overall financial budgeting for the department
- Approving hiring and firing requests for the department
- Guiding the talent identification and development processes for the group
CompTIA is active in statehouses and legislatures, the U.S. Congress, federal agencies and regulatory bodies, and some international forums.Lobbying responsibilities may include:
- Serving as CompTIA’s lead lobbyist and coordinating lobbying team to achieve shared goals. Policy areas include privacy, data security, broadband, education and workforce development, immigration, energy and environment, tax, procurement, international trade policy, and issues impacting emerging technologies.
- Coordinating with team, members and subject matter experts on development of policy positions as well as legislative, regulatory and political programs.
- Working directly with CompTIA staff and membership to develop policy positions and corresponding advocacy materials (position papers, letters, testimony, talking points, etc.).
- Testifying before relevant committees and administrative agencies regarding CompTIA policy positions and member perspectives.
- Providing updates and communicating regularly internally and with member company representatives on strategy, issues, and policy development.
- Working with team to manage contract lobbyists
- Participating accordingly in national policy groups and engage in related activities to drive technology policy agendas.
- At least 15 years of experience in active government affairs roles or commensurate public sector role. Experience with a member-driven trade association; a background in direct lobbying; and interest/knowledge of issues of concern to the technology industry are a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required. MPP, MPA or JD helpful.
- Must possess excellent leadership, strategic planning, and analytical skills.
- Strong collaborative, team and interpersonal skills are essential, as well as the ability to be a self-starter who can tackle a wide variety of tasks, from high-level meetings with government officials to executing administrative duties.
- Proven track record executing successful advocacy and outreach activities.
- Capable of operating and excelling in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment while managing multiple responsibilities and issues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Maintain highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity,
with strongest professional reputation in the industry.
The position requires domestic and some international travel. Occasionally travel may be required on very short notice.
CompTIA seeks excellence through diversity in its staff. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or marital status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-05-11