Public Affairs/Communications Manager
At its highest level, sustainable development is at the core of the work of the International Copper Association, Ltd. (ICA). Our mission is to bring together the copper industry and its partners to make a positive contribution to the UN Sustainable Development Goals and support markets for copper. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., the organization has offices in three primary regions: Europe, Asia and North America. ICA, which is part the global Copper Alliance®, has partnerships and programs in more than 100 countries.
This position reports to the Director, Industry Reputation Building, and works closely with senior association staff and management of global member companies, developing reputation-building messages and resources designed primarily for policy makers and other external stakeholders.
The successful candidate will play a crucial role in projecting and protecting the image of the copper industry. This individual must be a self-starter and able to complete projects in a timely, cost-effective and professional basis. Strong conceptual and organizational skills, in addition to excellent interpersonal capability best characterize the ideal candidate for this position.
The successful candidate will serve as a key member of the ICA’s Industry Reputation-building Team. Functional responsibilities will include:
- Support the Director of ICA’s Industry Reputation-building Team in helping to deliver strategies and tactics enabling the ICA to communicate to all its stakeholders in a unified, singular, global voice, with the highest-level goal to enhance the reputation of the world’s copper industry.
- Manage aspects of mini-campaigns from start to finish, including coordinating with agencies, drafting content, suggesting tactics, interacting with member companies and measuring results against KPIs.
- Able to take technical and scientific research and develop summaries, web text, blog posts, thought leadership articles, etc., that can be understood by nonindustry stakeholders. Ability to take technical research and visualize infographics a plus.
- Experience conducting on-line research and contacting primary sources to develop industry case studies.
- Work with ICA’s other initiatives—Material Stewardship, Clean Energy, Market Intelligence and others to develop strategies and tactics to enhance ICA’s reputation in identified high priority issues.
- Provide editing and re-working of documents prepared by ESL authors around the globe, making them consistent in style and content.
- Able to interface with copper industry executives from across the value chain.
Capabilities and Background Experience:
Qualified candidates will have a minimum of five years of broad international experience including proficiency in public affairs and communications. Association experience will be extremely beneficial to define the environment within which this individual operates. Specifics include:
- Proven experience working and communicating with others from different cultures and countries.
- Excellent writing and editing skills to assure clear communications to both technical and nontechnical audiences. The ability to create messaging and resources with material from multiple sources, at times collaborating or seeking consensus among multiple vested participants.
- Solid networking skills are integral; this person needs to possess or hone the ability to confidently approach a diverse range of people and strike up a conversation.
- Strong Information gathering and interpreting skills—the ability to understand new information and keep abreast of ever-changing political developments in the EU and the U.S. and adjust content accordingly.
- Experience coordinating with vendors and their associated budgets.
- The ability to work as a consensus-seeker seamlessly and closely with others in an integrated team of highly motivated professionals and in a broader organizational setting.
Qualified individuals will be experienced in project management, working with global personnel and technical staffs as well as outside suppliers and contractors to develop a wide variety of resources for various audiences and stakeholder groups.
The successful candidate will be comfortable interfacing with ICA’s senior management and member company representatives.
Approximately 20 percent of time will involve travel to the Association’s global offices and facilities, member sites, and trade/ industry meetings.
BS/ BA in a relevant discipline is required. MS is preferred. A technical background is a plus.
If you are interested in this position, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Job posted: 2020-12-15