Public Affairs Communications Rep
Your Work Shapes the World
Whether it be groundbreaking products, best in class solutions or creating a lifelong career, you can do the work that matters at Caterpillar. With a 95-year legacy of quality and innovation and 150 locations in countries around the world, your impact spans the globe.
When you join Caterpillar, you are joining a team of makers, innovators and doers. We are the people who roll up our sleeves and do the work to build a better world. We don’t just talk about progress and innovation. We make it happen. And we are proud of that because it helps our customers build and power the world we live in – the roads, hospitals, homes and infrastructure. Without a dedicated workforce Caterpillar could not effectively meet our customer’s needs. Join us.
As a public affairs communicator, this position will serve as a partner and provide policy communications support for Caterpillar’s global government affairs team as well as other key stakeholders in the enterprise. This includes integrated communications, including advocacy and media relations duties, for external and internal audiences focused on achieving the enterprise’s policy priorities.
A firm grasp on the activities, processes and procedures of policy formation is a critical skill set for success in this role. It is expected that the role works in close collaboration with internal teams from government affairs, enterprise communications and others across the Caterpillar enterprise in building and executing sound communications initiatives. The position manages the completion of its own work assignments, which are then reviewed after completion.
The position also provides communications support to Caterpillar’s Political Action Committee (CATPAC) with annual campaigns, membership communications and compilation of reports and data.
This role is part of the Corporate Media and Public Affairs team, a global communications team focused on reinforcing Caterpillar’s strategy and enhancing the company’s reputation with investors, customers and other external stakeholders.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with subject matter experts in the business and government affairs teams – including state, federal, international and PAC – to develop and execute communications to support Caterpillar’s global policy priorities that support the corporate strategy. Elements include developing messaging and maintaining content for internal and external communications including employee campaigns, grassroots programs, social media platforms, websites, paid advertising, earned media placements, messaging platforms, public speaking opportunities, videos, etc.
- Develop and nurture relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders to aid the work of the team, including appropriate policy makers’ and trade associations’ communications staff, PR agencies and media contacts.
- Design and implement communications for diverse public policy issues, aimed to drive outcomes ranging from stakeholder education to grassroots activation.
- Develop global monthly policy reports flash reports on key policy issues for executive leadership
- Contribute to metrics tracking to communicate impact of public policy communications.
- Media relations duties involve engaging with both traditional and non-traditional media outlets to advance Caterpillar’s core messaging. Serve as a liaison and a storyteller while building relationships with internal teams as well as local, regional and global media outlets. Duties also include pitching stories, preparing executive briefing materials, drafting press releases and statements, as well as fact checking with editors and reporters. Proactively identify issues, potential crises and good news opportunities to raise visibility of Caterpillar. Stay connected to media coverage of topical issues in Caterpillar industries to advise leaders on the pulse of conversations.
- Conduct research for relevant topics and stays current on company and industry initiatives.
- Perform other related communications duties as assigned.
- The position requires a 4-year college or university degree in marketing, communications or related field is required.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible job-related experience is required with strong writing skills.
- The position requires a person who is process oriented with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Adaptability is critical.
- Location: Washington, DC
- 10-20% travel is expected
Employee benefit details:
Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world.
Here you earn more than just a salary, because we value your performance. We offer a total rewards package that provides day one benefits [medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401(k)] along with the potential of an annual bonus.
Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays (prorated based upon hire date).
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.Caterpillar.com/Careers
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals – Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities – are encouraged to apply.
There’s more to work at Caterpillar than just the work itself. We hire smart, friendly people and it shows in our culture. We hold ourselves to high standards and make sure our values of integrity, excellence, teamwork, commitment and sustainability come to life in the way we work. We make sure our employees feel continuously challenged while also supported. We provide professional growth opportunities, including leadership programs. We celebrate the diversity of our team, while also working together as one Caterpillar.
Our culture, like everything at our company, is made possible by each employee’s contribution. Person by person, we create the environment we work in, and we are proud of the Caterpillar we’ve built.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-18