Public Affairs Consultant
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
As part of the Government and Industry Relations group, the Public Affairs Team builds and executes the public affairs strategy in support of major public policy and reputational priorities for the corporation. The team leads the initiatives that demonstrate Allstate’s business, societal, and public policy leadership to help build reputation capital and grow the business.
The position of Public Affairs Consultant II manages complex projects and activities for the Government & Industry Relations group and the Public Affairs team. The position collaborates with clients and/or other areas of L&R department and supports the team in implementing, planning and measuring key elements of the public affairs strategy. This position assists in managing major programs and initiatives designed to drive positive reputational results on these issues among key stakeholders including policymakers, opinion leaders, agents, employees, consumers and customers. The Public Affairs Consultant also assists in the implementation of various advocacy programs as well as offers insight and support of major public policy initiatives.
- Manages and implements strategies and tactics in support of public affairs initiatives.
- Develops compelling communication strategies and messaging to promote Allstate’s advocacy initiatives.
- Supports Allstate’s grassroots and political engagement efforts through leading the operational execution of events and activities.
- Supports policy programs, presentations and other special initiatives.
- Monitors and assesses legislative and regulatory developments.
- Influences and reports on trade association activities that impact the business.
- Position requires a minimum of 3 years of experience in a political management or public affairs role with an emphasis on public relations, government affairs and communications.
- Minimum B.A. in Political Science, Journalism, or other related majors is preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Familiar with the field of corporate public affairs and experience working on initiatives, material, and message development to support public policy objectives and business priorities.
- Ability to identify opportunities, recommend and help implement process improvements
- Intermediate strategic/conceptual thinking abilities
- Is analytical and detail oriented; able to identify, prioritize and solve problems effectively
- Basic to intermediate budget management skills
- Able to work in a diverse, multi-office environment
- Basic to intermediate business acumen
- Basic to intermediate training development and delivery abilities
- Functions autonomously and deliver corporate results while keeping management of work progress and escalate issues as appropriate
- Able to interact with all levels of personnel
- Strong interpersonal skills, intermediate to advanced written and oral communication and effective customer service skills
- Basic to intermediate subject matter expertise in one or more relevant areas
- Basic project management skills
- Basic to intermediate change management skills
- Basic to intermediate researching, quality assurance, and formatting skills
- Ability to identify inconsistencies in routine work and initiate corrective action within own workflow
- Able to deliver results with a sense of urgency
- Adapts well to change; able to multi-task and make effective decisions in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Is a proactive self-starter who is able to manage his/her time effectively and work independently
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills
- Knowledge of legal holds process
- Insurance, financial, legal, or compliance industry experience preferred
- Demonstrates ethics and integrity
- Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-01-03