Public Affairs Generalist
PUBLIC AFFAIRS GENERALIST
The National Association of Federally-Insured Credit Unions (NAFCU) seeks a public affairs generalist to help lead the Association’s social media channels, build relationships with reporters, and write and edit content across the Association’s communications vehicles and publications. This position is part of a five-person Communications team and reports directly to the Vice President of Communications & Media Relations.
Who we are:
NAFCU is the leading trade association for America’s federally-insured credit unions. Our mission is to strengthen credit unions by providing our members and the credit union industry the absolute best in federal advocacy, education, and compliance assistance. Extreme member service and responsiveness is our hallmark. Our continued membership growth shows that we have what the industry is looking for.
Our team members are passionate about growth, innovation, and collaboration. We constantly are striving to improve and better ourselves so that we can better support our members. If you have a growth mindset and enjoy challenging work, you probably are a great fit for our team!
Who you are:
You are a self-starter with strong writing, editing, and organizational skills and enjoy communicating. You have an eye and ear for creative ways to communicate content to various audiences – i.e., you know how to make a headline stand out. You also have an understanding of business functions and an interest in credit unions and consumer financial services. You have the ability to prioritize a varied workload, balance multiple tasks and projects without missing deadlines, and work efficiently while generating high-quality work product. You thrive in a collaborative, team-oriented environment and take pride in helping others, but you are able to work independently.
What you’ll do:
You will coordinate the development of the Association’s communications efforts, including social media, and helping to manage the development of the Association’s magazine. You will also work with the trade media to proactively inform them of NAFCU’s priorities as well as lead efforts to respond to incoming inquiries. Additionally, the position will focus on writing speeches, opinion pieces, and news stories for NAFCU Today, the Association’s newsletter for members informing them of activities by the association.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Journalism, Communications, or English.
- Two to five years of experience in communications and/or with writing/editing. Experience working on the Hill, in politics, in policy, or with a financial institution or financial services trade association, highly desirable.
- Familiarity with financial policy issues and knowledge of the congressional and federal regulatory process. Knowledge of credit union issues is a plus.
- Understanding of the news cycle and knowing when something could be breaking news.
- A high degree of proficiency in writing, composition structure, and grammar; strong editing skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Familiarity with or an interest in learning newsletter and magazine production processes.
- Experience with posting on social media and creating content via platforms like Canva, etc.
- A strong team player with the ability to juggle multiple tasks and changing priorities.
- Ability to quickly produce excellent results under deadline pressure.
- Proficient in MS Office, especially Word, Outlook, and Adobe Photoshop; experience with Adobe InDesign desirable.
If you push yourself and your colleagues to be better and are committed to helping to make NAFCU the best trade association in Washington, D.C., we would love to hear from you. To apply, email three items to firstname.lastname@example.org: (1) your resume, (2) a cover letter, and (3) your salary range expectations. EOE
Job posted: 2021-09-05