Public Affairs Manager-01016511
The Public Affairs Manager advocates for Weyerhaeuser’s interests in the Gulf South Region (Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.) As a Public Affairs Manager, you will lead a proactive, results-producing public and government affairs program in the region and engage with policymakers and other stakeholders. This position reports to the Director of Government and Federal Affairs.
The Public Affairs Manager will work in a remote/work from home capacity. The preferred location for this role is Mississippi; however, consideration will be given for other states in the region (Georgia, Florida, Alabama and Louisiana).
- Create value and manage risks for business units in the Gulf South Region through favorable political, regulatory and economic climate.
- All Weyerhaeuser business units operate in this region: Timberlands, Wood Products, Energy & Natural Resources, and Real Estate
- Support business units in region with media/public/community relations and assist with corporate philanthropy
- Support broader public/government affairs team in a flow-to-work system as necessary
- Manage budget allotment and stay within set budget; manage budgeted political giving
- Serve as trusted advisor on government and public affairs issues for company leaders
- Approximately 25-40% travel, especially during legislative sessions, with a mixture of same-day and overnight travel
- Represent the company on key state and local issues focused on reducing business costs, improving earnings and gaining competitive advantage while maintaining the company’s public license to operate
- Monitor issues, assess impact/risk, develop strategies, build relationships, allocate resources and actively lobby policymakers for favorable outcomes
- Establish and manage relationships with state and local government officials
- Foster relationships with key business/trade associations and coalitions to ensure Weyerhaeuser’s priorities are supported
- Provide regular communications/reporting for business leaders
- Support federal government relations by attending political action committee (PAC) events; organize and staff congressional and state legislative tours as necessary
- Ensure interaction with government officials and staff is done through legal, ethical and responsible participation in political processes and provide accurate and timely information to policymakers
Media/Community/Public Affairs Duties
- Respond to local and regional media for region-specific events/needs
- Coordinate response with team and corporate communications
- Working with business unit managers, provide support for Giving Fund activity in the region
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Natural Resources, Communications, Political Science or Business
- 8-10 years public/government affairs or commensurate experience
- Highest standards of integrity and ethical conduct; projects credibility, depth of knowledge and integrity consistent with the company’s values, which is necessary to be a trusted partner to policymakers and stakeholders
- Exceptional knowledge of legislative and regulatory process
- Ability to work comfortably and effectively with top-level government officials across the political spectrum, association leaders and community thought leaders
- Team player mentality
- Excellent communicator with great interpersonal skills
- Enthusiasm and willingness to work hard
- Self-starter with ability to function individually in a region while coordinating with broader team around the country
- Flexible and ability to adapt to change
- Detail and results oriented
- Ability to balance competing priorities
- Managerial experience not required; however, familiarity with budgetary processes is helpful
- Exercises excellent judgment, poise, and strong negotiation skills
We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We’re serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence, and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference.
We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us.
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. Inclusion is one of our five core values and we strive to maintain a culture where all our people feel a sense of belonging, opportunity and shared purpose. We are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce and supporting an equitable and inclusive environment that inspires people of all backgrounds to join, stay and thrive with our team.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-26