Apex Clean Energy
Lake Elmo, MN
Apex is seeking a Public Affairs Manager to help develop and manage Apex’s public support-building campaigns for projects in our portfolio, including media relations, communications, community relations, and grassroots advocacy. The Public Affairs Manager may also help manage Apex’s strategic partnerships, organizational memberships, and coalition memberships at the state and/or regional level.
- Local Support Campaign Management, including developing and executing strategies for identifying local wind energy supporters, activating those individuals to engage locally, building relationships with local elected officials, building relationships with the local media, articulating compelling key messages about our projects, and maintaining a positive presence for Apex in the communities where we work. Maintaining and building strong contact database for projects.
- Media Relations, including developing relationships with media reporting on Apex or its projects, developing responses to media inquiries, developing and distributing local press releases, preparing Apex spokespeople for media speaking opportunities.
- External Communications, including helping to maintain and update project- specific websites, and managing project Facebook strategies, including content-development and tracking.
- Messaging, including developing compelling messaging and positioning statements for local projects.
- Coordinating with counterparts on the Apex development team to effectively plan and execute local support campaigns.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in public relations, communications, political science, or a related field.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in public relations, communications, community organizing, or campaign management.
- Experience designing and executing effective grassroots campaigns, whether political or issue-based.
- Familiarity and experience working with common campaign tactics such as direct mail, radio/newspaper advertising, door-to-door canvassing, GOTV efforts, and social media advertising.
- Facility and skill in working with media to build productive relationships and produce positive press.
- Comfort and skill engaging with different types of people in rural parts of the U.S., including local elected officials, community leaders, and members of the public.
- Comfort and skill with de-escalating potential confrontations with individuals that are opposed to wind energy.
- Experience building and executing effective social media campaigns.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Design Suite, and familiarity with web-based content management systems (i.e. WordPress, Drupal, Perch, etc.) Ideally, familiarity with the NationBuilder campaign platform.
- Ability to lead collaborative efforts with peers and colleagues and earn buy-in from team members.
- Exemplary standards of honor, ethics, quality, communication, and productivity
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- High attention to detail.
- Exceptional interpersonal and written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work proactively and productively with limited supervision.
- Professional appearance and manner.
- Strong passion for renewable energy.
- Willing and able to travel on a regular basis (20-40%)
- Must live in or be willing to relocate to Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN.
- 401(k) Employer Match
- ACAC Corporate Partner – Membership Discounts
- Company Paid Cell Phone
- Company Paid Parking
- Dental Insurance
- Equity Options
- Flexible Spending Arrangements
- Health Savings Accounts
- United Van Lines – Relocation Discounts
- Voluntary Additional Term Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Health Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- Group Term Life Insurance
- 401(k) Pre-tax or Roth Deferrals
Learn more here
Job Posted: September 1, 2017