Public Affairs Manager
Symetra has an excellent opportunity to join our Marketing team as a Public Affairs Manager!
About the role
The Public Affairs Manager will serve as a member of the Public Affairs team, who is focused on supporting Symetra’s local, state and federal public affairs strategy. This role will assist in identifying, analyzing and advocating on a broad range of complex public policy issues in line with Symetra’s legislative and community priorities. This person will also engage in outreach and coalition building, research and analysis, internal coordination across teams, and may represent Symetra publicly at various levels of government, with trade organizations and in the community.
What you will do
- Monitor and analyze key legislative and policy issues at the local, state and federal level
- Develop briefing materials by utilizing multiple resources to advise leadership and produce legislative communications
- Develop and support relationships with key constituencies and elected officials
- Work in support and coordination with Symetra Law Department’s Legal and Regulatory team members on advancing Symetra priorities, as advised
- Support community outreach functions and represent Symetra with external audiences
- Handle projects cross-departmentally in support of programs and initiatives
- Assist in reporting and compliance activities
- Perform other duties, as assigned, i.e. lead interns, etc.
What we offer you
We don’t take a “one-size-fits-all” approach when it comes to our employees. Our programs are designed to make your life better—both at work and at home.
- Flexible work program and telecommute arrangements
- Wellness program offering employees a variety of resources crafted to assist you in reaching and maintaining your optimum health
- Plan for your future with our 401(k) plan and take advantage of immediate vesting and company matching up to 6%
- Paid time away including vacation and sick time, flex days and ten paid holidays
- Give back to your community and double your impact through our company matching
- Want more details? Check out our Symetra Benefits Overview
Who you are
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in communications, political science, public policy, public relations, financial services or related field
- 5-7 years of experience in communications, government relations, public affairs, public relations or financial services
- Solid understanding of financial and/or insurance industry is a plus
- Experience working for an elected official at the state, federal or local level a plus, or demonstrated skills and understanding of policy and government
- Proven ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and make excellent judgement decisions in the field, when needed
- Strong understanding of state and/or federal governance and legislative processes
- Outstanding verbal/written communication, research, and analysis skills
- Ability to build and maintain quality relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Ability to positively and effectively represent Symetra with external audiences; including one-on-one, at meetings and when speaking in public
We empower inclusion
At Symetra, we embrace and celebrate diverse experiences, identities and perspectives, because lifting each other up fuels thought and creates a stronger, more innovative company. Learn more here.
In a complex industry, we strive for clarity.
Symetra is a dynamic and growing financial services company with 60 years of experience and customers nationwide. In our daily work delivering retirement, employee benefits, and life insurance products, we’re guided by the principles of VALUE, TRANSPARENCY AND SUSTAINABILITY. That means we provide products and services people need at a competitive price, we communicate clearly and honestly so people understand what they’re getting, and we build products that stand the test of time. We work hard and do what’s right for our customers, communities and employees. Join our team and share in our success as we work toward becoming the next national player in our industry.
For more information about our careers visit www.symetra.com/careers.
Please visit www.Symetra.com/Careers to learn more and submit an application! All applications are carefully reviewed by our team.
Job posted: 2020-08-31