Public Affairs Manager
Better Place Forests
San Francisco, CA
Better Place Forests’ mission is to inspire everyone to leave a meaningful legacy for the planet and the people they love. We conserve and protect natural areas, and support families in their end of life arrangements. By working with Better Place Forests, you will create a lasting environmental impact and help families across America leave a proud legacy.
As Better Place Forests’ first Public Affairs Manager, you will shape a critical function at the company and work on the cutting edge of public policy. You will drive public affairs strategy internally and lead projects in coordination with colleagues across the country. Engaging externally with public officials and stakeholders, you will serve as an ambassador for Better Place Forests, and contribute to the development of new policies at the intersection of environmental conservation and end-of-life choices.
You will join a company of hard-working, results-oriented, and supportive colleagues aligned on our common mission.
- You will help protect the environment through the conservation of forests, while building a business that dramatically improves end of life choices for everyday people.
- As an early team member, you will play a critical role building the Public Affairs team from the ground up. You will help guide public affairs strategy, lead public affairs projects, and coordinate with teams across the company.
- You will lead in the development of innovative public policy, engaging public officials and stakeholders on the intersection of environmental conservation, and end-of-life.
- Spearhead engagement with state officials across the country in support of BPF’s regulatory goals and expansion across the United States.
- Develop and manage stakeholder strategy (public officials, community leaders, local organizations) for our forests, along with teams across the company.
- Help launch new forests by reaching out to public officials in communities where BPF will open forests.
- Maintain long-term relationships with key stakeholders at the state and local level.
- Analyze and track policies and regulations relevant to Better Place Forests,.
- Coordinate public affairs initiatives across teams within Better Place Forests.
- Extensive experience managing public policy initiatives within government or outside government. Experience inside and outside government a plus.
- Advanced regulatory and/or legislative initiatives resulting in regulatory or legislative change.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including engaging principals within the public and/or private sector.
- Experience developing strong working relationships with stakeholders externally and internally.
- An ability to quickly understand technical regulations, synthesize them, and develop recommendations based upon them. You won’t lose the forest for the trees.
- Someone who thrives in a startup environment where no project is too big or too small to tackle.
- A self-starter who can run a project from beginning to end, and who looks for opportunities to add value.
- A team player who appreciates the chance to support and enable others.
Medical (subsidized), dental, vision, and 401(k)
Memorial Tree credit
Fertility assistance program
Connectivity/mobile phone stipend
Our HQ to you – remote workstation
Paid Parental Leave
Employee Referral Program
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Fair Hiring Practices
At Better Place Forests, we value diversity and treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other legally protected status. We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will treat your request as confidential information. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-04