Public Affairs Manager
Public Affairs Manager
At SDG&E, we are committed to the community we call home, delivering clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people we serve in San Diego and southern Orange counties. Our commitment means 40% of the energy that SDG&E delivers to customers comes from renewable sources, exceeding California’s Renewable Portfolio Standard. We are modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure safe and reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. Learn more about our commitment to delivering clean, safe and reliable energy HERE.
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
Manage Company relations with county, city, agency and other local government jurisdictions in an assigned region of the Company’s service territory.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent the Company before county, city, and other local governments in an assigned region of the Company service territory. Establish and maintain an effective working network of county, city, and other local government elected, appointed, and senior-level administrative officials on behalf of the Company.
- Thoroughly understand county, city, and other local government decision-making processes, and identify, monitor, and engage in hearings, meetings, and legislative processes at all levels of local government, as appropriate. Facilitate approval of local permitting for Company infrastructure and other projects. Assist in negotiations with county, city, and other local governments to obtain permits, franchise agreements and other approvals. Serve as liaison to local offices of state and federal legislative representatives on Company priority issues, programs, and initiatives, and on state regulatory and legislative energy policies and proposals.
- Anticipate, identify, monitor, analyze, and vet significant local regulatory, administrative and legislative initiatives, including policy, political, and community trends, and propose and coordinate Company strategic responses.
- Lead strategic and effective communications that inform local government stakeholders on Company priority issues, programs, and initiatives, and on state regulatory and legislative energy policies and proposals. Develop and maintain a continuing real-time understanding of Company priority issues, programs, and priorities. Identify and engage non-profit, private sector, government agency, and other local stakeholders to promote Company priority issues, programs, and initiatives.
- Build and maintain positive collaborative relationships across multiple disciplines and client business units within the Company.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, preferably in political science, public administration, public relations or communications.
- 5 years’ experience representing business or other similar organization clients at county, city, or multi-jurisdictional governments.
- Private or public sector experience working laterally and vertically in a complex organization.
- Exceptional and comprehensive writing skills, listening skills, verbal communication skills, and an ability to articulate complex regulatory and legislative issues concisely and effectively.
- Ability to coordinate and work collaboratively across many different disciplines, to understand and synthesize new information from a variety of sources, and to identify and set priorities.
- Ability to perform under extreme time constraints.
- Ability to quickly forge new business and political relationships with external and internal contacts.
- Prior experience working in county, city, or multi-jurisdictional governments is preferable.
Please apply on our Careers Page via the link: https://recruiting.adp.com/
Job posted: 2021-03-20