Public Affairs Manager
We’re Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there’s an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About The Cruise Government Affairs Organization
The Government Affairs team works closely with civic leaders at all levels of government (local, state, federal, and international) to develop public policy solutions for the safe testing and deployment of self-driving vehicles. As a well-seasoned, collaborative, and highly respected team, we work to engage and educate policymakers, public safety officials, community leaders, academia, and the general public about self-driving technology and its enormous potential benefits to society. We serve as the primary liaison and external-facing entity at Cruise, representing the company at anything from local neighborhood associations to international governing bodies.
About the Role:
Cruise is looking for a self-starting, collaborative, and Public Affairs Manager to join as part of our Public Affairs & Social Impact team. In this role, you will help introduce our self-driving vehicles to key audiences through targeted campaigns, thought leadership, and strategic narrative development. You will help shape Cruise’s positions on complex regulatory and policy issues to policymakers, regulators, professional and trade associations, academic institutions, think tanks, the communities in which Cruise operates, and other important audiences. You will also help form strong relationships with key stakeholders and influencers and identify and execute on opportunities that advance Cruise objectives across all markets. This position is ideal for someone with relevant campaign or issue advocacy communications experience who thrives in a fast-paced and constantly evolving environment.
This person will report to the Director of Public Affairs.
What you’ll be doing:
- Create public narratives around self-driving vehicles and promote value propositions that appeal to elected officials and community stakeholders
- Develop compelling messaging in advocacy and communications materials, including blog posts, op-eds, talking points, presentations, and other supporting materials as needed that support the growth and public acceptance of autonomous vehicles, electric vehicles, and other emerging businesses derived from the introduction of AVs
- Design, implement, and coordinate, public affairs strategies to complement and supplement Cruise’s legislative and political campaigns and social impact
- Identify and capture opportunities to position Cruise as a policy thought leader
- Lead outreach, relationship cultivation and education of identified third parties, coalitions, and strategic partners in markets
- Map and track of stakeholders and influencers (think tanks, universities, scholars, commentators, coalitions, neighborhood groups, etc.) relevant to the business
- Project management and coordination of cross-functional teams internally.
- Represent Cruise publicly at local events, with community groups, on expert panels, and at conferences as appropriate and required
- Actively monitor the political and community environment in markets of interest, identifying opportunities as well as challenges that may require Cruise involvement
What you must have:
- Min 4 years of relevant political communications, policy communications, or public affairs experience
- Background in advocating for a candidate, cause, or issue
- Skilled writer with experience distilling complex technical, regulatory, and legislative subject matter into compelling and persuasive content including op-eds, talking points, leave-behinds, and decks
- Proven experience in developing and implementing high profile and impactful thought leadership and engagement strategies
- Demonstrated experience in project management, leading initiatives that require collaborating across internal and external teams
- Enjoys a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment with the ability to meet tight deadlines, pivot, exercise good judgment and maintain confidentiality
- Passionate about Social Impact and Eagerness to learn
- Emerging technology and transportation enthusiast; prior validated experience is a bonus!
- Transportation industry experience
- Political campaign communications experience
- Media training experience
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- We’re Remote Friendly
- We believe that your value to the team can be provided at a Cruise office or from the comfort of your home. Depending on your function, enjoy the flexibility of remote work and join our growing community of remote employees in the continental United States.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-08