Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Public Affairs Manager *West Coast (LA, Seattle, Portland)
Description & Requirements
who we are
lululemon is an innovative performance apparel company for yoga, running, training, and other athletic pursuits. Setting the bar in technical fabrics and functional design, we create transformational products and experiences that support people in moving, growing, connecting, and being well. We owe our success to our innovative product, emphasis on stores, commitment to our people, and the incredible connections we make in every community we’re in. As a company, we focus on creating positive change to build a healthier, thriving future. In particular, that includes creating an equitable, inclusive and growth-focused environment for our people.
about this role
We are looking for a seasoned leader who will assist in leading our public affairs efforts, creating, and managing global and regionally based social and environmental issues that elevate our global brand. Collaborating with myriad teams across the business, including communications, HR, legal, IDEA, and our Centre for Social Impact, this role will be 70% responsible for delivering strategic and compelling corporate narratives to elevate our reputation, and 30% responsible for building a top-notch employer brand internally and externally.
The primary driver for this position is around consumer advocacy and will create a pipeline of opportunities to enable positive relations within and around our stores, build coalitions that support advocacy priorities, and promote equity. Key to the role’s success is to facilitate dialogue with community, trade organizations, and relevant stakeholders as we drive towards innovative solutions for systematic change focused on Wellbeing. This role requires extensive cross-group collaboration along with exceptional strategic planning, critical thinking, communication, and partnership skills.
day in the life
- Translate strategy into action and work directly with the Director of Global Public Affairs and internal working teams to ideate, envision, and ultimately lead the group to deliver digital transformation solutions throughout the priority markets
- Identify and secure strategic partnerships with global organizations that share lululemon’s values to enhance and build the brand’s reputation among key stakeholders
- Create and develop messaging and storytelling communications that enhance the company’s reputation and increase alignment with industry partners.
- Leverage sophisticated understanding of media to target specific media channels (broadcast, print and online) and train spokespeople with company messaging
- Execute digital and social media activations as a key component of public affairs campaigns, working collaboratively with cross functional partners
- Proactively monitor policy, advocacy, and media landscape to develop policy communications and advocacy strategies
- Lead the development of strategic partnerships to help ensure responsible growth of the business, integrated with relevant community and civic stakeholders, that support our advocacy objectives in priority markets
- Manage issues and crisis situations, including working closely with global partners to operationalize company’s issue and crisis preparedness and response mechanism, working with the Global Corporate Communications team to develop reactive communications guidelines
- Serve as a company spokesperson with organizations and media organizations to build awareness for lululemon’s public affairs initiatives
- Partner with Global Communication team to lead strategic and impactful internal communications and engagement initiatives that celebrate our culture, drive engagement, and enable business results, while supporting key internal stakeholders to deliver effective communications
- Partner with our Centre for Social Impact and IDEA teams to help develop creative pathways to drive access and opportunity within wellbeing, mental health, environment, and sustainability
- Proactively identify, define, and champion new opportunities to build our reputation, mitigate risk in areas where there are political challenges, and engage with the community to promote equity and wellbeing
- Build and maintain relationships with community leaders, trade organizations, policymakers, non-profit partners, and influencers
- 8 years of dynamic experience in public affairs and community engagement
- Minimum of 3-5 years working in a political environment including leadership position on an issue based and/or candidate campaign
- Track records of strategic planning, managing, and executing corporate and internal communications initiatives
- Proven track record managing issues and developing reactive and proactive communications
- Have a keen understanding of the media and social landscapes
- Experience working and providing strategic counsel to senior executives
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Passion, knowledge or involvement in or about fitness and wellbeing
- West Coast candidate preferred, ideally in LA, Seattle, or Portland
- Be proactive, agile, and strategic
- Be detail-oriented and well-organized
- Manage multi-tasks in a fast-paced, changing, and growing environment
- Work effectively in cross-cultural teams
- Give & receive feedback
role must haves
- Proven work ethic with utmost integrity
- Desire to excel and succeed
- Actively live and breathe the lululemon culture and lifestyle
- Self-awareness, with a desire for constant self-improvement (goal-oriented)
- Entrepreneurial spirit and an egoless nature
- Self-motivated, passionate, empathetic, approachable
- Outgoing, energetic, upbeat, and fun!
- Acknowledges the presence of choice in every moment and takes personal responsibility for their life.
- Possesses an entrepreneurial spirit and continuously innovates to achieve great results.
- Communicates with honesty and kindness, and creates the space for others to do the same.
- Leads with courage, knowing the possibility of greatness is bigger than the fear of failure.
- Fosters connection by putting people first and building trusting relationships.
- Integrates fun and joy as a way of being and working, aka doesn’t take themselves too seriously
Job posted: 2022-10-26