Public Affairs Representative
Public Affairs Representative
Founded in 1920, Eastman is a global specialty materials company that produces a broad range of products found in items people use every day. With the purpose of enhancing the quality of life in a material way, Eastman works with customers to deliver innovative products and solutions while maintaining a commitment to safety and sustainability. The company’s innovation-driven growth model takes advantage of world-class technology platforms, deep customer engagement, and differentiated application development to grow its leading positions in attractive end-markets such as transportation, building and construction, and consumables. As a globally inclusive and diverse company, Eastman employs approximately 14,500 people around the world and serves customers in more than 100 countries. The company had 2020 revenues of approximately $8.5 billion and is headquartered in Kingsport, Tennessee, USA. For more information, visit www.eastman.com.
We are currently seeking a Public Affairs representative to be a member of our Global Public Affairs team, which is based in Kingsport, TN, at our global headquarters. This position will support Eastman’s Gulf Coast operations based in Texas, sit in the Corporate Affairs division and report to the Director of Global Public Affairs and Community Relations.
- Help identify opportunities and support the development of strategies and managing the execution of public relations programs and strategies to build Eastman’s brand and protect and enhance Eastman’s reputation among our employees and in communities where we have operations.
- Work with a broad range of internal and external constituencies across all levels of management and functions at both the corporate and local site level
- Foster and leverage relationships with local community leaders and local government officials to enhance and protect the company’s reputation and advance business objectives.
- Generate local and regional media coverage by working with Corporate Communications to identify Eastman stories that showcase our efforts to “enhance the quality of life for people and society in a material way.”
- Identify and anticipate issues and work with appropriate functions to counsel management on reputation/business impact and influence decision making process.
- Respond to local incident emergencies and support internal business clients with crisis management
- Research and draft client-facing materials, including memos, presentations, fact sheets and social media content.
- Draft pitch materials and work to sustain relations with internal business clients and local stakeholders.
- Assist in the development and execution of campaign plans, including communications, grassroots/field and online engagements.
- Contribute to the development of new social investment and community engagement proposals and presentations for internal business clients.
- Display confidence in taking a first pass at composing proposals, demonstrating the ability to think through a bigger picture execution plan.
- Assist with managing projects, including taking notes in client meetings and on conference calls, tracking client deliverables and deadlines, managing task spreadsheets, and providing activity reports.
- Perform background research and create briefing materials for the account team in preparation for meetings and calls with existing or potential clients.
- Understand and appropriately utilize resources (e.g., online research, monitoring tools, and other reference materials).
- Provide support and contribute ideas to internal planning discussions and brainstorming sessions.
- Understand and comply with corporate operations and code of conduct procedures.
- Identify and conduct outreach to potential community partners/third party vendors and sub/contractors.
- Produce grammatically correct, typo-free copy and demonstrate a keen attention to detail.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in the areas of communications, public relations, political science, public affairs, public policy or other relevant field
- 8 years of experience in strategic public affairs or communications within the corporate, government, journalism, politics, non-profit or agency spaces, political campaigns, or a related industry, and a strong interest in corporate and advocacy clients (Note: the level of experience will vary on the level of position we would consider you for)
- Experience in manufacturing and/or a regulated and global environment preferred
- Track record of excellent professional writing, communication, and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects
- Bilingual or multi-lingual abilities are valued
- Possess resourcefulness and the desire to work hard and be motivated, responsible, and proactive
- Detail-oriented and strong at multi-tasking
- Team player with the ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with business clients and fellow team members
- Ability to advance communications and public affairs approaches, tactics and strategies based on a general understanding of client needs and functional services
- A natural problem-solver with good judgment and ability to manage up
- Experience using digital communications and social media platforms and proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure and maintain quality, detail, and organization across multiple assignments
Eastman Chemical Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law. Eastman is committed to creating a powerfully diverse workforce and a broadly inclusive workplace, where everyone can contribute to their fullest potential each day.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-26