Public and Government Affairs (P&GA) Advisor
Job Role Summary
This P&GA Advisor position will handle a wide range of activities to support ExxonMobil operations in Baton Rouge, LA – including media relations, external communications, government relations, community relations, crisis communications and issue advocacy. The successful candidate will assist in the development of high-visibility communications materials, including social and digital content, publications, speeches, and presentations. The position plays a key role within an innovative, multidisciplinary team that operates in a fast-moving environment, and will interface with site management and external stakeholders.
The position is located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Primary Job Functions
- Develop and implement proactive communications strategies and plans to better inform and educate the public on issues of importance to the company and the industry.
- Develop and implement public and government affairs strategies and support local issue advocacy.
- Provide strategic counsel to business-line leaders, including briefing and preparing executives for government meetings, community interface or media interviews.
- Interface with external stakeholders and create community engagement strategies.
- Create print and digital content, and help maintain the company’s various communication channels including social media.
- Represent ExxonMobil for external meetings and engagements.
- Be prepared to effectively support communications in a crisis situation.
- Bachelor’s Degree (in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing, advertising, political relations, governmental relations, international relations preferred); advanced degree in a communications or policy-related discipline preferred.
- More than three years’ relevant experience in areas such as communications, marketing, public policy issues management, media relations, government relations, community relations, journalism, writing or other related areas.
- Excellent written and editing skills with knowledge of AP style and a demonstrated track record of achievement in internal or external communications. Experience in developing speeches, executive letters, publications, blog posts and other similar materials.
- Ability to work and deliver under pressure; experience in handling communications during a crisis.
- Ability to convey complex, legal or scientific positions in a concise manner to a variety of external stakeholders.
- Background and knowledge of media strategy and experience in responding to media inquiries.
- Expert use of social media and community ambassadors to increase reach and relevance of local communications.
- Experience in developing community relations programs or grassroots advocacy strategy. Strong interpersonal communication skills with ability to present effectively to various groups of stakeholders.
Preferred Knowledge/ Skills/ Abilities
- Creative problem-solving skills to identify solutions that engage stakeholders with diverse viewpoints.
- Strong project-management skills, with an ability to multi-task and remain flexible when priorities change.
- Ability to quickly understand, assimilate, and communicate complex issues.
- Familiarity and interest in issues related to energy, economics, the environment, corporate citizenship, and government relations.
- A team player with a positive and proactive attitude.
- Culturally sensitive and ideally familiar with the working environment of a large international organization.
- Open to moving out of Louisiana for potential, future domestic or international assignments.
Alternate Location: Houston
ExxonMobil is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-06-08