Public & Government Affairs (P&GA) Government Relations Manager – Midwest
The State Government Relations Manager – Midwest, serves as ExxonMobil’s principal point of contact with Governors, State Legislators, statewide elected and appointed officials, as well as numerous third party organizations. The manager’s primary responsibility is to develop and execute government relations strategies for all state legislative activity and executive branch directives of importance to the Corporation in the states of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, and Wisconsin. The manager will also participate in ExxonMobil’s issues management process, working with a broader team to achieve beneficial outcomes as expressed by the business lines and management. The position is based in Joliet, IL.
- Develop and coordinate company positions and advocacy strategies on state government issues (primarily legislative and executive branches) that affect ExxonMobil.
- Craft political analyses to support execution of business objectives.
- Build relationships with organizations and individuals that have influence on government affairs issues.
- Interface with Governors, staff, cabinet members, legislators and regulatory agencies.
- Prepare government affairs background information and materials for internal clients. These products may include political analyses, advantages of support/opposition, bill analyses and legislative highlights.
- Provide emergency response support and associated government interface to operations in the region.
- Direct lobbying of state legislative and executive branches.
- Build relationships with industry and trade associations.
- Manage retained advocate, regional government relations office, budget and state political contributions.
- Adhere to approved company messages on key issues.
- Ensure compliance with state lobbying laws, disclosure reports and contributions activity.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of ten years of advocacy experience.
- Varied public policy experience that may include a government setting, large international corporation, trade or business organization, or think tank. Experience in energy and/or environmental policymaking and advocacy preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with an ability to communicate complex issues.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities and stakeholders.
- Strong understanding of the U.S. political system and ability to work with members of all political parties.
- Travel (U.S.) >50%
- Strong government affairs experience with expertise in issue advocacy and public policy campaigns.
- Solid understanding of public policy development, legislative and/or regulatory processes, and strategies for leveraging influence.
- Experience working with Governors, legislators and other elected/appointed officials.
- Experience in project management and/or negotiating.
ExxonMobil is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-09