Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Public Information Representative I/II
San Jose, CA
Office of Communications Unit (Position Code 640)
Public Information Representative I: $8,172.67 – $10,462.40 Monthly Public Information Representative II: $9,023.73 – $11,549.20 Monthly
COVID-19 vaccination requirement:*To protect our most valuable assets, our employees, as well as the communities we serve, Valley Water requires all new hired Valley Water personnel to be fully vaccinated (for COVID -19) or to be formally excused from the requirement through the **reasonable accommodation process (for details, see bottom of job posting)
The Public Information Representative (PIR I/II) position in Community Outreach within the Office of Communications will perform a wide range of support functions as a journey-level communications professional skilled in community engagement, facilitating public events, and project management. The PIR I/II will be able to support community outreach efforts pertaining to Valley Water’s messaging on priority projects, including coordination of event logistics. They will draft speaking points, construction/project updates, and reports on public engagement activities.
As a community outreach project manager, this person will drive visual/graphic support efforts ranging from project webpage updates, mapping systems, and outreach materials. The PIR l/II assists with the work of the Community Outreach team, engages in oversight of Valley Water public events and provides information for Valley Water executives and board members. When assigned, the PIR I/II will also provide support for the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) during emergencies.
In addition to a routine work schedule, this position can involve night and weekend work. Specifically, this position will participate in project management efforts, public outreach, and community engagement events/activities, which may include after-hour commitments at offsite events.
Our ideal candidate is a dynamic communicator knowledgeable in community outreach engagement work/project management and capable of representing Valley Water among the public and other external stakeholders.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Strategic and customized outreach and communication planning with communities, partner agencies/businesses and stakeholder groups on complex and controversial topics.
• Coordination with internal partners and peers on community outreach, public participation, stakeholder engagement and collaboration.
• Event coordination and planning.
• Coordinate and drive public event material creation and work with Graphic Services and other business teams/units to inform of upcoming outreach efforts.
Ideal Candidate’s Background Includes: Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
• PIR I: The ideal candidate has one (1) or more years of experience in community engagement, stakeholder outreach, and/or public information.
• PIR II: The ideal candidate has three (3) years or more of experience in community engagement, stakeholder outreach, and/or public information.
• Desired experience includes:
• Two plus years of experience supporting public information or outreach activities including:
• Strategic and customized outreach and communication with communities, partner agencies/businesses and stakeholder groups on complex and controversial topics.
• Collaboration with internal partners and peers on community outreach, public participation, stakeholder engagement and partnerships.
• Overseeing event coordination and planning.
• Working on public/municipal agency projects with exposure to capital projects.
• Principles, techniques and methods of public information and community relations.
• English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Ideal Skills and Abilities:
• Contribute to a variety of internal interdisciplinary teams to dissect, evaluate and develop outreach and community relations strategies.
• Communicate clearly, persuasively, and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Participate in the development and administration of unit goals, objectives and procedures.
• Develop and lead a variety of public participation and stakeholder engagement activities, in-person or virtually, on behalf of Valley Water; develop supporting materials.
• Plan and strategize in a collaborative setting.
• Demonstrate a high level of knowledge, judgment and professionalism in representing Valley Water both internally and externally and using that to enhance the Office of Communications.
• Develop and maintain contacts with various stakeholder groups.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, including all levels of internal and external individuals.
• Take highly technical information and convert it into communication that is easy to understand for the community.
• Juggle competing priorities, stay organized and complete tasks on time.
• Exercise good judgment and demonstrate outstanding project management skills.
• Self-directed but excellent team player.
Ideal Training and Education:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in communications, journalism, editing, public relations, political science, public affairs, law, education, project management, or a related field.
Required License or Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver’s license. Individuals who do not meet the driver’s license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis. To review the Classification Specification, please click http://apps2.valleywater.org/
About_Us/_Jobs/Salary_and_ classification/_Spec_PDFs/ Public Information Representative I-II – 5-2019.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following: application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.
(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above. Resumes are highly recommended.
NOTE: Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary.
Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification.
COVID-19 vaccination requirement:* Fully vaccinated means (1) it has been at least two weeks since a person has completed the entire recommended series of a COVID-19 vaccine, and (2) the person has provided proof of vaccination in a form consistent with the requirements for verification of vaccine status in the State of California’s July 26, 2021 Public Health Officer Order.**Limited Exemptions to Vaccination RequirementAn individual who has been provided a job offer may request a reasonable accommodation to the vaccination requirement if they:1. Have a contraindication recognized by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or by the vaccine’s manufacturer to every approved COVID-19 vaccine. A contraindication means a condition that makes vaccination inadvisable;2. Have a disability and are requesting an exception as a reasonable accommodation based upon this disability; or,3. Object to COVID-19 vaccination based on their sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
Valley Water’s Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request.
Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources in advance of any special needs by calling +1 408-630-2260.
Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned. Human Resources staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/2709009
Job posted: 2021-12-21