Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Public Policy Advisor
The Public Policy Advisor is a position within the Public Policy and Legislative Affairs practice at WilmerHale that lobbies on behalf of its clients. The position supports and consults clients in advocacy meetings on Capitol Hill and at federal agencies and monitors federal legislative and regulatory developments in a wide array of policy areas. The Public Policy Advisor will participate in various business development activities in order to gain new clients and strengthen existing client relationships. The position offers the opportunity to work with former Legislative and Executive branch officials and to learn about public policy in the context of one of the country’s leading law firms.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
- Supports projects related to strategic planning and policy development, collaborating with experts and stakeholders throughout the firm.
- Organizes and facilitates meetings that support strategy and policy development, draft and provide input to a variety of strategy and policy-related documents, as well as provide other general administrative support.
- Participates in client meetings and contributes to legislative strategy.
- Frequently communicates with Congressional and agency staff to advocate on client priorities.
- Schedules, facilitates and participates in client meetings on Capitol Hill, industry/association “fly-ins”.
- Monitors and analyzes legislative and regulatory developments as they pertain to firm and client interests and develops and provides policy recommendations.
- Conducts legislative and regulatory research and preparing summaries and reports on issues of interest.
- Participates in business development activities such as, events and meetings outside to extend and amplify the reach of PPLA.
- Contributes to the firm’s Service Excellence initiative to consistently improve its image internally and externally. Displays professionalism, quality service and a “can do” attitude to internal members/departments of the firm as well as external clients and vendors via electronic and print correspondence, over the telephone and in-person.
- Extensive knowledge of the public policy landscape and the levers of government that can create change.
- Broad knowledge of the legislative and regulatory processes
- Established relevant government relationships
- Possesses a strategic counseling skill set
- Demonstrated ability and experience to bring in new business
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment, and understand the political sensitivity behind issues
- Creative problem-solving and critical-thinking skills
- Ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills (e.g. communication, leadership, responsibility, teamwork)
- Excellent writing skills
- Bachelor’s degree in political science or related field
- Minimum 7-10 years of Congressional or agency experience handling legislative responsibilities.
WilmerHale is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, age, disability or veteran status, or other protected status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-11-15