Public Policy & Advocacy Fellow
This Fellowship provides an opportunity for a Fellow to lead the work of HUF’s public policy and advocacy agenda
with a focus on immigration and immigrant-related policies. It will involve strengthening and working through the
Children of Immigrant Families Coalition (CIFC) as well as, relationship-building, communication, researching,
tracking results, reporting, and coordinating the activities related to this work. The Fellow will be supported by the
agency’s CEO, as well as, the public policy professionals on HUF’s public policy & advocacy committee. The Fellow
will have the opportunity to interact with local, state and national partners and elected officials and their staffs.
The Fellow also will travel to Tallahassee and Washington DC to engage in advocacy.
1. Establish relationships with local, state and congressional policymakers by engaging in the following
relationship-building activities on an annual basis.
Visit policymakers in their district offices or in Tallahassee or DC.*
(Create an annual calendar on the best times to make these visits.)
Invite policymakers and/or staffs to visit and tour HUF when appropriate
Recognize policymakers at every opportunity at events, in newsletters, etc.*
Send ongoing communications to local, state and federal policymakers
*Where appropriate involve current and past HUF Board Members and/or other key influencers to
2. Strengthening and providing support and direction to the Children of Immigrant Families Coalition.
Formalize the CIFC with additional partners at the local and state level and create MOU amongst the
Create short and long term goals for the CIFC
Create a steering committee for the CIFC to guide the immigration/immigrant-focused work of the
Establish a policy platform with the coalition and provide needed research and materials and assist in
developing the strategies for each policy item
Communication & Messaging
1. Coordinate & Work in collaboration with a communications consultant on messaging: Including
emails, policy scripts, policy meetings, letters and various other communication pieces
2. Coordinate & Work in collaboration with the communications consultant on social media: Work
with communication consultant, HUF’s CEO and Marketing Director in coordinating social media
messaging. The communications consultant will take the lead to craft and post social media messages on
Research & Legislation Tracking
3. Research: Assist in investigating immigration or immigrant-focused policy issues. Also provide
background information on the policymakers who will be at the meetings – including voting history and
other important facts about his/her interests, background, etc.
4. Follow key pieces national legislature: U.S. – Federal bills can be followed at http://thomas.loc.gov or
through a network of other organizations engaged in specific public policy areas who are already tracking
5. Follow state-wide legislative matters. On the state level, research policy makers and policies being
proposed for the 2021 legislative session.
6. Staying Informed: Read and stay abreast on immigration and immigrant-focused policy issues as
identified state and national immigration advocates.
Contact Lists & Appointment Setting
7. Appointments and Materials: Set up meetings with partners, policy experts, elected officials and/or
his/her staff, prepare materials needed, craft Thank You letters and notes and ensure these are sent out
within 2-3 days after the meeting.
8. Policy Maker Contact List: Create and maintain up to date an Excel spreadsheet with the federal and state
policy makers contact information along with a set of labels with their addresses. Identify key staffers for
key policy makers. Secure contact information for local and county government as well and identify key
9. Press Contact List: Develop press contact list and update periodically. Assist with press relationship
building including: setting up informal get-to-know each other meetings and providing information on
10. Coalition Lists: Assist in creating and maintaining the CIFC data base as well as a variety of other
databases with contact information
Tracking & Reporting
11. Create a Work Plan based on the outcomes outlined in the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative grant and
provide ongoing updates and reports to the foundation
12. Report out to HUF’s Public Policy & Advocacy Committee during their monthly meetings
13. Track Advocacy Efforts, Costs and Results – Document all advocacy activities, their costs (if any) as well
as the results documenting the latter or through formal reports, meeting minutes, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Belief in HUF’s mission and view immigration policies as a social justice issue
Demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively with people of diverse background, to build
relationships and coalitions across the political spectrum
Able to demonstrate sensitivity to and appreciation for diverse viewpoints and different communication styles
in a multicultural environment
Effective facilitator and convener
Solid understanding of a wide range of professional communication techniques and vehicles
Demonstrated ability to work on deadline, be highly organized, work with little supervision, and maintain
accountability and strong communication with others in collaborative projects
Excellent English written and verbal communication skills, sound judgment and discretion with confidential
Knowledge and ability to conduct research on policymakers, public policies and specific issues impacting
Excellent administrative skills
Skill in working in an extraordinarily fast-paced environment with flexibility to adjust to changing priorities.
Ability to deal with competing priorities and meet deadlines
Availability to work flexible hours, including some nights, weekends, and travel within the state and to
Must have a car and valid Florida driver license;
Basic literacy with Microsoft Office, video conferencing, and data management systems.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A plus: Policy experience or Legal background
Minimum 3 year work or previous fellowship or internship experience
Experience working in a diverse and team oriented environment
The person hired for this position will work out of our Hollywood, Florida office.
About Hispanic Unity
Hispanic Unity of Florida (HUF) is a non-profit founded 37 years ago by community leaders to ease the acculturation
transition for newcomers from other nations. Today, HUF provides assistance through 12 programs and 30+ services
in four languages to South Florida’s diverse community. HUF, a UnidosUS Affiliate, is one of South Florida’s largest
agencies dedicated to the immigrant population, providing them with the tools they need to build a new life. In 2018,
the agency served more than 15,000 children and families. HUF offers assistance at two main office locations and
provides extended services at 50+ outreach locations—including citizenship services at libraries, free tax preparation
at mobile sites, and education services at public schools, among others
Contact: Please email resume and necessary forms to: email@example.com
Job posted: 2020-01-14