Public Policy Analyst
GitHub is seeking a Policy Analyst to join its policy team within Corporate External and Legal Affairs. GitHub’s impact is global, and our role in the support of open source software and software collaboration is key to creativity, innovation, and success in software transformation. GitHub’s policy team is focused on protecting and promoting the ability of the global interconnected community of developers to accelerate human progress. This role will help the GitHub policy team monitor and research a broad range of technology policy and societal issues in order to discern how developers may be impacted, and to develop materials and strategies for informing developers, policymakers, and internal stakeholders alike. This role will also help us advocate for and develop policies that reflect the realities and concerns of developers and software development. In other words, it is hard to imagine a better opportunity for a policy professional with a passion for technology, open source, and global collaboration.
GitHub’s Policy team uses GitHub to work collaboratively, transparently, and efficiently with all other teams in the company. We believe strongly in working together and from first principles, in questioning tradition and basic industry assumptions, in being attuned to GitHub’s unique GitHub culture. We value diversity of thought and experience, deep intellectual engagement with one’s subject matter, intellectual curiosity, innovation, social awareness, and high emotional intelligence.
A cover letter is required. A crisp cover letter, preferred.
- Track, summarize, and create detailed research and analyses pertaining to how policy proposals and related trends and events impact software developers and their communities
- Contribute to blog posts, presentations, amicus briefs, educational materials, working documents/spreadsheets/databases supporting/resulting from above analyses
- Contribute to/help maintain policy-relevant internal and public open source repositories
- Great research and project management skills with exceptional follow through and attention to detail
- Fast, accurate, precise writer on technology policy topics
- Loves reading, dissecting, editing, and understanding from all sides policy documents such as those related to legislation, court cases, regulations, standards, site policies, licenses, policy-enacting software code, academic papers, and datasets
- Experience taking on projects involving different subject matters, and working with cross-functional organizations
- Demonstrated success in issue spotting, problem solving and the ability to be agile through change
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative, transparent, fast-paced, and distributed workplace
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Deep understanding of Open Source Software, developer ecosystems, and internet law and policy
- Strong technical facility: how obtained and in what specific technologies do not matter, but solid high-level understanding of how software development, the web, the internet, etc., work, and demonstrated ability to quickly learn details of any info technology are essential
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed – Trust by Default – Ship to Learn – Own the Outcome – Growth Mindset – Global Product, Global Team – Anything is Possible – Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We’ve designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We’ve designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we’ve built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there’s any way we can make the interview process better for you; we’re happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-21