Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Public Policy Associate
Join a dynamic organization whose mission is to strengthen the capacity of community coalitions to create and maintain safe, healthy, and drug-free communities globally. This is accomplished by providing technical assistance and training, public policy advocacy, media strategies and marketing programs, training, and special events.
We provide excellent medical, dental, and vision plans, generous time off, including holidays, and opportunities for growth and advancement. We offer a diverse workplace where we recognize each employee’s contribution to the organization’s overall success. That success is rooted in our commitment to developing our people by giving them the tools and resources to grow in their roles and prepare them for opportunities within the organization.
- Policy monitoring and summarization
- Track federal legislation relating to substance use prevention, treatment, and recovery
- Attend relevant meetings, hearings, and mark-ups on and off Capitol Hill and complete write-ups for use by CADCA members and staff
- Writing projects and special events
- Assist in scheduling Capitol Hill meetings as part of CADCA’s National Leadership Forum
- Assist in completing appropriations request forms for Congressional offices and in reaching out to Congressional offices about CADCA’s appropriations priorities
- Assist in getting members of Congress to sign onto the Congressional Host Committee for CADCA’s Drug-Free Kids Campaign Awards Dinner
- Write content for CADCA’s digital newsletter, Coalitions Online, and CADCA’s online blog, the CADCA Community
- Develop presentations for internal and external stakeholders
- Information and data collection
- On a daily basis, scan and collect data and relevant information from the Internet, the Congressional Record, the Federal Register, CQ, and other relevant publications
- Assist in reviewing scholarly articles about substance use prevention in academic journals and condense information into a useable format for presentations
- Assist in monitoring and tracking the Department’s bill priorities on substance use prevention. This includes obtaining bill text, legislative reports, and other information from Capitol Hill.
- Prepare a weekly list of relevant hearings to be held on Capitol Hill and news items summarizing up-to-date substance use prevention, treatment, and research issues for CADCA staff
- Logistical and staff support to CADCA’s Public Policy Department
- Prepare, assemble, and deliver packets for Hill staff
- Organize funding charts and local outcomes used for advocacy efforts
- Assist with presentation development to maintain timely research on substance use
- Compile and update essential contact lists (i.e., Congressional staff)
- Manage and maintain databases in Excel as required
- Handle administrative duties for the Department, including making travel arrangements, completing expense reports, completing conference registrations, and submitting applications for speaking engagements. Responsibilities will be similar to those of a Legislative Correspondent on Capitol Hill.
- Send mass email communications to Congressional members and staff
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs, especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and SharePoint
- Ability to manipulate comprehensive database systems, e.g., CQ, VoterVOICE, Fiscal Note, Congress.Gov
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with a variety of CADCA members, staff, and Hill staff
Training and Credentials
- Entry-level position, 4-year college degree required
- Prior internship experience on Capitol Hill, in the nonprofit sector, or grassroots lobbying is strongly preferred
Amount of travel: 5-10% annually
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter
- Writing sample – ideally about a substance use prevention-related policy issue
- two references
To apply: Send your resume to HR@cadca.org.
Job posted: 2022-09-12