Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Public Policy Associate
Position Summary: Public Policy Associates are highly engaged team members who help research, shape, and execute IBHS’s public policy objectives. They will engage in public policy work, research, attend events, develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders and policymakers, and complete administrative duties relating to these tasks.
IBHS public policy work sits at the intersection of science, resilience, housing, and insurance. Public Policy Associates are enthusiastic communicators able to synthesize complex information, collaborate closely with internal and external partners, and effectively advance IBHS solutions for making families, businesses, and communities more resilient to severe weather.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Identifying potential policy issues and researching possible solutions.
- Analyzing data to recommend improvements to existing policies or develop new policies to address emerging issues.
- Communicating research findings and policy proposals to internal and external audiences through written and verbal means.
- Coordinating meetings with stakeholders and policymakers to discuss advance policy proposals.
- Building relationships with policymakers, nonprofit organizations in the resilience, housing, and insurance fields, and other stakeholders.
- Planning and attending events to raise awareness about specific issues or to gain support.
- Travel is required- 10% cumulative.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
Communications - Exhibits good listening and comprehension. Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form. Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally. Keeps others adequately informed. Selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Dependability - Commits to doing the best job possible. Follows instruction. Keeps commitments. Meets attendance and punctuality guidelines. Responds to requests for service and assistance. Takes responsibility for own actions.
Initiative – Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
Planning & Organization - Integrates changes smoothly. Plans for additional resources. Prioritizes and plans work activities. Sets goals and objectives. Uses time efficiently. Works in an organized manner.
Quality - Fosters quality focus in others. Improves processes. Measures key outcomes. Sets clear quality requirements. Solicits and applies customer feedback.
Team Oriented – Works well with others in a collaborative, fast-paced environment.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; and three to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of post-graduate level education and experience.
- Read, analyze, and interpret scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Respond to inquiries from the community. Write speeches and articles for publication.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Compute rate, ratio, and percent, and draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
Certificates and Licenses: NA
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level is typically moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While working in this position, the employee is frequently required to sit at a desk for prolonged periods of time. The employee may also regularly be required to talk or hear; stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; use hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee may occasionally be required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-08-29