Public Policy Associate, State Chapters
National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
Tysons Corner, VA
The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) seeks a full-time government affairs/public policy professional to support its state chapter advocacy. NAELA represents approximately 4,500 attorneys who address legal challenges faced by older adults and individuals with disabilities. The mission of NAELA is to establish its members as the premier providers of legal advocacy, guidance, and services to enhance the lives of people with special needs and people as they age.
This is a great opportunity for a professional who is
- Ready to make a significant contribution in an organization with a great mission;
- Interested in protecting the rights of older adults and individuals with disabilities; and
- Able to work independently, but as part of a well-coordinated, very busy team;
Under the direction of the Sr. Public Policy Manager, the Public Policy Associate will execute a comprehensive strategy to assist NAELA state chapter advocacy. The Associate is primarily responsible for coordinating activities to foster NAELA state chapter participation in public policy. Duties include establishing relationships with volunteer leaders, managing the state advocates online community and monthly conference call, tracking state legislation and regulation, gathering information to develop reports, and writing summary communications. The Public Policy Associate assists the Sr. Public Policy Manager in other matters, as needed.
- Work with the Sr. Public Policy Manager and volunteer leaders to execute a comprehensive strategy to assist NAELA chapters in their advocacy.
- Coordinate activities to foster NAELA chapter participation in public policy
- Develop relationships with volunteer leaders, members and other stakeholders to enhance state chapter advocacy.
- Host monthly calls with state chapter leaders to facilitate collaboration between chapters on common advocacy efforts
- Track and create reports on state legislation and regulation for chapters
- Assist in the production and sharing of NAELA advocacy tools for chapter volunteers.
- Draft communications related to NAELA chapter achievements for publication at the chapter and national levels in order to gain support and recognition of chapter initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
- BA required
- 2-3 years of related work experience required
- Legislative, regulatory, association, or non-profit experience preferred
- Solid understanding of the legislative process
- Ability to compile information and generate readable reports
- Experience using Microsoft Office software, particularly Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Experience maintaining web pages a plus
- Scrupulous attention to details
- Solid, accurate data entry skills
- Experience handling client/member inquiries
- Responsive and can follow up without prompting
- Outstanding oral and written communications skills
- Teamwork oriented but also can work independently
- Solid internal and external member service ethic with a problem-solving focus
- Commitment to demonstrating core NAELA work values.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put Public Policy Associate, State Chapters, in the subject-line.
Job posted: 2019-01-24