Public Policy Director
Velodyne Lidar provides smart, powerful lidar solutions for autonomy, including driver assistance, and intelligent infrastructure, and advanced robotics. Headquartered in San Jose, CA, Velodyne is known worldwide for its portfolio of breakthrough lidar sensor technologies. Our smart, powerful lidar technology has revolutionized perception and autonomy for automotive, new mobility, intelligent transportation systems, mapping, navigation, logistics, delivery, security applications, and more. Our mass-market adoption has created new opportunities in the software space, and we are currently developing a suite of new lidar-based services.
Specific Job Descriptions:
Velodyne is looking for a dynamic Director of Public Policy to drive the company’s vision through policy development and engagement with key federal, state and local stakeholders. This candidate should have deep experience in and passion for transportation and innovation policy. This role will involve exercising thought leadership by advocating for future policy frameworks, educating the public about lidar technology, and diving deep into detailed regulatory affairs and rules. We are looking for someone knowledgeable or eager to learn about lidar technology and automation, and who can promote lidar adoption and support business development by proactively finding and partnering with relevant stakeholders. Our ideal candidate is someone who is enthusiastic, a strong communicator and writer, and has excellent attention to detail. Come join our innovative team in this exciting, fast-paced industry!
- In close coordination with the VP of Government Affairs and Chief Marketing Officer, policy team and other members of Velodyne’s leadership team, develop and manage federal, state, local, and outreach strategies.
- Work with engineering and technical teams to develop content and communication materials for public consumption.
- Monitor, anticipate, and analyze state and federal legislative and regulatory policies and proceedings, particularly related to AV, ADAS, infrastructure and privacy/security, and robotics, to develop recommendations and prepare communications for the executive team.
- Collaborate across internal departments to understand goals, identify opportunities, determine business impacts of legislative and regulatory proposals, and execute public policy strategies.
- Engage in building new market opportunities for lidar adoption at the federal, state and local levels.
- Represent Velodyne before industry best-practice setting bodies, technical forums, and at conferences, on expert panels, and in other forums, as appropriate.
- Work directly with federal and state agencies, including the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Department of Transportation (DOT), state/federal legislature, and on federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS) and related programs and regulations, to further Velodyne’s public policy and regulatory objectives.
- Educate internal stakeholders and leadership about relevant federal and state policy, procurement and grant programs and opportunities.
- Provide input and strategic guidance related to public filings and the pursuit of other corporate priorities.
- Support sustainability policy development and initiatives.
- Proactively identify, assess and mitigate potential issues that could impact the company’s reputation or objectives.
- Evaluate work within non-profit and external agencies to guide decision-making and maximize membership opportunities.
- Develop and engage Velodyne employees in a holistic safety approach.
Required Education and Experience Requirements:
- Deep expertise in transportation and innovation policy landscape.
- Understanding of relevant administration, agency, congressional, and advocacy activities.
- A proven track record of building trusted relationships and successfully navigating complex regulatory processes, legislation, or policy development.
- Established ability to build and sustain relationships with all levels of government, management, or teams, and navigate differing policy objectives.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and the ability to convey complex topics succinctly and persuasively.
- The ability to manage multiple projects on tight deadlines.
- A flexible, creative and goal-oriented mindset.
- Ability to thrive and stay organized in a high-growth environment.
- A team player and cross-functional collaborator with an ability to get things done and carry projects forward.
Preferred Education and Experience requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field.
- 8+ years of experience working at or with federal agencies, on Capitol Hill, or in advocacy organizations.
- Relevant experience with government affairs, public policy, and government relations in the technology/AV sector.
- Experience in developing and providing public comments, policy guidance, standards development, and similar activities.
Note to all recruitment agencies: Velodyne Lidar does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our career page or any Velodyne employees. Velodyne is not responsible for any fees related to any unsolicited resumes.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-10-04