Public Policy and Government Affairs Manager
At Proton, we envision an internet where privacy is the default, and we’re building ways to help all people secure their digital lives and take control of their data. ProtonMail was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). And since its inception, the company has grown at a fast pace and today has over 40 million users.
Our principal product, ProtonMail, is the world’s largest secure email service. Our second product, ProtonVPN, is one of the world’s most popular VPN services. Our vision is to build an internet platform for the protection of digital rights, and we are also developing additional products, including ProtonCalendar, ProtonDrive, and more to come.
Our users include New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens. The world is adopting our products at an accelerating pace. Whether it’s in New York, or at the front lines of the global struggle for freedom and democracy in Hong Kong, Belarus, and Myanmar, the work we do saves lives and is transforming the world. Our team is diverse and dynamic, representing over 30 different nationalities, with offices in Geneva, Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, and Taipei, employing people across the world.
Proton is a mission-driven company. We’re deeply committed to enabling freedom online and ensuring the internet serves the interests of all people. Our technologies provide trusted ways for people to be secure online and in control of their information at all times. The world is adopting our products at an accelerating pace. Help us bring it from tens of millions of users, to billions of users. We’re creating one of the world’s most impactful tech companies.
What you will do
- Develop and drive Proton’s policy efforts in the U.S., with an emphasis on federal antitrust, app store rules, privacy, data retention, and encryption
- Design and execute Proton’s American public affairs strategy, including stakeholder mapping and engagement (e.g. policymakers, regulatory authorities, industry peers, trade associations, NGOs, and journalists)
- Spearhead local company positions, materials, and policy proposals in harmony with Proton’s broader objectives
- Work closely with the American comms team to inject Proton’s voice into public discourse, including through media relations, op-eds, testimony, and hearings
- Brief, advise, and prep Proton leadership on U.S. policy matters, engagement, and opportunities
- Monitor legislative and regulatory developments and assess their impact on Proton’s business
- Proactively and independently identify policy and political opportunities and advise accordingly
- Work closely with legal to ensure all policymaker engagement is compliant with American law
- 5+ years of experience working on policy issues within government, regulatory agencies, consultancies, or in-house, preferably with a focus on technology, security, and software issues
- A degree in a related field (Law, Political Science, Public Policy, etc.)
- A network of strategic relationships in the U.S.
- An ability to drive and manage policy files and regulatory engagement
- Good knowledge of regulatory and legislative frameworks relating to economic issues, wider policy landscape, institutions, and relevant stakeholders on federal, state, and local levels
- Experience within tech, Internet technologies, new media, and surrounding policy environments, and building coalitions in support of policy ideas
- Experience representing corporate interests with other external resources (e.g. consultants, trade associations, external counsel, etc.)
- Proven experience executing public policy campaigns with limited oversight or support when given high-level objectives
- A track record of writing and delivering position papers, articles, speeches, and presentations
- Ability to work autonomously in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
Why you should join Proton
- We work on interesting, challenging problems every day. There is never a dull moment.
- Our start-up culture means everyone’s opinion matters. You can have a significant impact.
- Our rapid growth means there are many opportunities for advancement.
- The chance to do something meaningful. Proton products protect dissidents, journalists, and activists. Our work saves lives.
- Be part of something bigger. Millions of people and businesses around the world have embraced our idea of an Internet where privacy and security are the default. Join the privacy revolution that is changing the world.
ProtonMail uses the Recruitee recruitment platform for a more effective hiring process and a better candidate experience. Your data will always be kept confidential and is not shared with any third parties. Keep in mind that you will receive emails from the email address firstname.lastname@example.org or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Proton.
Job posted: 2021-11-03